expat network

Exchange Of UK Driving Licence For Spanish Driving Licence Agreed

Exchange Of UK Driving Licence For Spanish Driving Licence

The Spanish Government has finally approved the reciprocal recognition and exchange of driving licenses between Spain and the United Kingdom.  The agreement, also establishes the exchange of information on traffic offenses in terms of road safety. This means that holders of a valid UK driving licence can exchange it for a Spanish licence without having to take an additional practical or theoretical test.

The Council of Ministers approved this agreement by which Spain and the United Kingdom will proceed to the reciprocal recognition and exchange of driving licenses as well as the exchange of information on traffic offenses in terms of road safety.

This agreement puts an end to the successive extensions applied to the exchange of permits between the two countries that had been applied since the end of the transitional period provided for in the Withdrawal Agreement of the United Kingdom from the European Union.

From Thursday, March 16, holders of a valid and current UK driving license may request the exchange of their equivalent driving licence where they have established their residence in Spain, without being subject to any additional requirement of a practical or theoretical test and according to the equivalence tables between the categories of permits from both countries.

A six-month period has been established in which British citizens can drive in Spain with their original licences until these are exchanged.  If the licence is not exchanged in this period you will not be able to continue driving on your UK licence in Spain but you will be able to apply for the exchange after the end of this six-month period.

In a video which appeared on the Brits in Spain Facebook page on Tuesday evening, the British Ambassador to Spain, Hugh Elliott, encouraged UK licence holders to exchange their documents for Spanish ones “as soon as possible”.

He also advised that more information about making appointments with local traffic offices would be provided on the DGT (Spain’s directorate-general for traffic) website. The embassy would also be offering advice and information about the steps to take, he added.

To exchange your licence you need to make an appointment with the nearest Jefatura u Oficina de Trafico to exchange your licence.  Before your appointment you will need to have your psicotécnico test (health/eyesight test).

Documents required when exchanging a foreign licence for a Spanish licence:

  • Application form (in Spanish)
  • Proof of identity (passport original and copy)
  • Proof of residence (Certificate of Registration in the Central Aliens Register – the NIE number
  • Valid driving licence to be exchanged (original and photocopy)
  • Two recent passport-sized photographs
  • Written declaration stating that the applicant has not been banned or suspended from driving
  • Written declaration stating that the applicant does not hold another driving licence of the same class in another country

Spain and the UK have also agreed to provide each other with information on vehicles and their owners for the purpose of investigating traffic offences related to road safety, especially in cases of speeding, not wearing a seat belt, failure to stop at a red light, driving while intoxicated, driving under the influence of drugs, not wearing a crash helmet, driving in a prohibited lane, or illegal use of mobile phones.

To assist you in planning your move to Spain download our Guide containing all the information you will need to make the move: