Online language learning platform Preply has investigated the best cities around the world for expats to move to. Whatever your reasons for moving to a different country, it’s important to learn the basics of the native language spoken there so you can feel confident communicating with your neighbors, colleagues, lecturers, and anyone else you come into contact with on your new adventure.
As a result, according to Preply’s data, over 26% of those learning a new language online are doing so due to relocating to a new area.
With emigration becoming an increasingly popular choice amongst students, families, and working professionals, this begs the question – which cities around the world are the best for expats to move to?
To find out which cities around the world are the best for expats looking to relocate, Preply has ranked 60 of the most popular destinations on 11 relevant relocation metrics, including:
- Cost of living – the average monthly expenditure as an expat
- Salary – the average monthly salary after tax
- Income tax – the estimated amount of tax paid on $50,000
- Rent – the average monthly rent cost of a 1 bedroom apartment in the city centre
- Connectivity – the average internet speed (Mbps)
- Things to do – the number of top-rated attractions
- Dining out – the average cost of a meal at an inexpensive restaurant
- Saftey – the cities safety score (0-100, 100 being the safest)
- Visitor return rate – the percentage of visitors that came back to the city for a second time
- Co-working costs – the average monthly cost co-working space
- Learning the dominant language – how many hours to learn the dominant language fluently
You can see the full study and ranking at: https://preply.com/en/blog/expat-cities/
The Global Expat Index: The world’s top 10 cities for expats to live and work in
|Monthly cost of living as an expat (£)||Av. monthly salary (after tax) (£)||Estimated tax on £50,000 (£)||Rent (£)||Internet speed (Mbps)||No. of attractions||Cost of a meal (£)||Safety index
|Visitor return Rate (%)||Co-
working cost (£)
|Hours to learn language||Expat relocation score|
Kuala Lumpur is the best city for expats to live and work in 2022
With an overall expat relocation score of 6.62 out of 10, Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia ranks as the best city in the world for expats. Monthly living costs for relocators in Malaysia’s largest city amount to around £903 and with the average monthly rent for a one bedroom property in the city centre being £363, this leaves plenty of disposable income leftover to enjoy all that Kuala Lumpur has to offer.
When it comes to leisure, there’s plenty to keep you busy in Kuala Lumpur. The city boasts over 322 activities such as theme parks, cave tours, and visits to the famous Petronas Twin Towers. Business professionals and remote workers will also appreciate Kuala Lumpur’s affordable coworking spaces, with the average cost being £76 per month, the lowest out of the top 20 cities.
Tbilisi in Georgia comes in second place for expats, followed by Lisbon, Dubai and Bangkok
Tbilisi in Georgia follows closely behind in second place with an expat relocation score of 6.58.
Tblisi is more expensive for expats compared to Kuala Lumpur, with the average person bringing home a monthly salary of £372 after tax and a 1 bedroom apartment in the city centre costing around £580. However, Tbilisi is one of the safer cities out of all those ranked, with a good city safety index of 74.5 out of 100.
Tbilisi was followed by Lisbon in Portugal, which also ranked well for safety. Dubai and Bangkok came in fourth and fifth, with expat relocation scores of 6.45 and 6.35 respectively.