Project Manager and Design Director
Last Updated: 18th July 2020 (over 2 years ago)
35 years post grad experience incl. 20 years international project experience
Experienced in senior management and development of teams
Served as Project Director/Manager, Design Manager, Architect & Designer, Documenter with broad range of building procurement strategies & diverse clientele
SPECIALISED HIGH END MAJOR PROJECT EXPERTISE
Specialized in leading firms in Architectural services, Project & Design Management.
Extensive range of project experience with High End finishes & technologies including major projects in retail & hospitality, residential, commercial, institutional categories
• Most notable projects:
Mixed Use Project – 55 Storey High Rise Apartments, Mumbai, India
Mixed Use Project (Grand Hyatt / Hyatt High Rise Residences) - Gurgaon, India
River Horizons High Rise Apartments – Melbourne, Australia
Qatar National Convention Centre – Doha, Qatar
Lippoland Supermal & Mal Ratu Indah – Jakarta & Ujung Pandang, Indonesia
Dubai Mall Food Courts – Dubai, UAE
Federation Square – Melbourne, Australia
Crown Towers 5 Star Hotel – Melbourne, Australia
• Organized and able to motivate/manage a team.
• Particular and articulate/thorough about attention to detail.
• Good listener and can easily co-operate with peers.
• Integrity & Perseverance
FOREMOST PROFESSIONAL ACHIEVEMENTS
Developed full range all round skills in multi platform software for design, documentation, management in all phases of building projects (large & small scale)
Transitioned from localized (Australian) projects into general international major projects in Sth East Asia, Middle East and India. Relocated and successfully adapted into the Mixed Use Projects development market at various remote locations
Adapted to Asian (1998) & Global (2008) Financial Crisis and recent COVID-19 Pandemic (2020) to successfully work from remote locations; via online technology for project management as supplement for ‘in person’ interaction when necessary
Design & Engineering Manager of a 100+ size Multi-national/Multi- discipline team on State-of-the-art Qatar National Convention Centre project. Adjusted to management of design & other project consultants internationally via remote access
Recruited & managed a team that created a new record in the largest shopping mall in Indonesia (1995) for the number of shops successfully opened on time
Developed a full office management system for an architect practice
Successfully managed a team of over 50 peer & multi-disciplinary professionals to produce the design & doc for premier iconic site: Federation Square in Melbourne
Set new industry fast-track benchmarks on Crown Towers Hotel project, Melbourne
Development of BIM (Revit) implementation strategies on major projects
Registered Architect (ARBV)
Architectural Practice Examination
Bachelor of Architecture
— Oct 1982
Project Director / Design Manager
Client Liaison & Consultant Team Set up
Design Management & Program Review
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Design Management & Reviews, Value Engineering
Client Liaison as acting Project Director
Close out of Concept Design PMC Services
Architect / Team Leader / Manager
— Oct 2019
• Team Leader managing multiple projects
• Managing Large Multi –Use project in design phase
• Construction Administration.on project in construction phase
• Attending Client, Site & Design Co-ordination Meetings
Project Phases: Multiple - Design & Construction
Architect / Managing Director
— Feb 2018
Client: CBG Architects
Project: Dunblane Townhouse Development, Noble Park, Victoria.
• Project Documentation for Building Permit & Tendering.
• Design Development.
• For Construction Documentation Package
Project Phase: Building Permit / Construction / Contract Documentation
June 2017 - Feb 2018
Client: Tarneit Junction Project
Project: Tarneit Junction Mixed Use Project, Tarneit, Victoria.
• Project Documentation Review for Planning Application.
• Design Review for Pre-Documentation Value Engineering Phase.
• Attending Planning Application Meetings at Tarneit Council
Project Phase: Planning / Concept Design Review
(Project ‘stalled’ / ‘on hold’ in Development Application Phase)
Snr Design Manager
— Dec 2016
Project: Island City Centre - Luxury High Rise Residential.
• Project, Contract & Commercial Management.
• Design Management monitoring of the Design Consultants.
• Directing local Client / PMC team and local consultants.
• Phase 1 under construction; 2 Towers (55 levels) with common podium
Project Phase: Design & Construction
Project / Design Manager
— Nov 2014
Project: Mixed Use Residential, Commercial / Retail & 5 Star Hotel.
• Leading & Directing local integrated Client / PMCM team and local consultants.
• Coordinating international design consultants & design reviews
• 35 levels Office Tower with basement car parking.
• 5 Star Hotel with 3 levels podium, 35 levels Tower and
basement BOH & parking.
• 3 Level Retail Mall with 3 levels basement parking.
• 6 Residential Towers – 36 levels each
• Design Management & Project Management integration
with Construction Teams.
• REVIT & AutoCAD documentation & co-ordination
Project Phase: Final Design & GFC documentation.
Architect / Managing Director
— Jun 2012
22 levels apartment with basement car parking - Value AUD 42 million
Principal Consultant Architect
• Project Architect responsible for documentation and design co-ordination
• Attending to shop drawing reviews, RFI responses
• Site liaison with builder and Quality Assurance reviews
• REVIT & AutoCAD documentation & co-ordination
• Site Inspections & Architect Advices
• Including design, documentation, construction management of
2 Level luxury penthouse apartment with highest level finishes / fittings.
Project Phase: Construction. Concurrently providing design management and architectural services on 3 other apartment construction projects in Melbourne.
— Sep 2010
Client: Mobily Capital Investment Program (value circa $1 bn).
Conducted a Program Review of existing projects & management systems for Design & construction of Data Centres, Offices, Retail Outlets throughout the
- Prepared a Program Review Report with recommendations for:
- Master Development / Design & Construction Programs for all projects
- Proposed Staff Roles & Responsibilities and organisation structures
- Oversight of establishment for projects team staff & consultants.
- Design & Construction Management advisory services.
— Mar 2010
New world class Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne, Australia and Expansion of Crown Towers 5 star Casino/Hotel, Melbourne.
• Senior member of Project Architect teams
• Quality Assurance reviews and documentation co-ordination.
• Co-ordination of State-of-the-art integrated data, communication and security services technologies and highest quality equipment & finishes.
— Sep 2009
• Distressed project intervention - Master Development of 165 hectare site
• Oversight of Infrastructure works (roads, bridges, and marine works) to support the development of a Marina / Mega Mall / Commercial & Residential high-rise towers plus community & institutional services.
• Carried out a project audit to determine development strategy to counter
effects of the GFC.
• Co-ordination of District Cooling Supplier/Contractor.
• Directed project team Consultants and Contractors to get the project
back 'on track'.
• Negotiated a cessation agreement with incumbent PMC.
• Managed appointment of a new PMC team and transition of consultant services.
• Prepared reports & recommendations for Board review & approval.
• Supervised staff team of Quantity Surveyors, Project Managers
and Architects; with regard to the administration of project program,
budgets and all technical matters.
— Feb 2009
• Building on 6 levels with commercial areas plus retail & food court.
• Concept design & site procurement for mixed use project.
• Preliminary marketing & approvals phase.
• Responsible for overall design / program / budgeting.
• Client relationship development
Design & Engineering Manager
— Jul 2008
Value QAR 2.1 billion
• Project included state-of-the-art exhibition & concert halls, public & staff facilities with data, IT, A/V and security infrastructure to meet world class international standards.
• Senior member of the PM/CM management team.
• Responsible for design management of multidiscipline / international
project team of consultant architects, engineers & specialized services
consultants / suppliers.
• Co-ordination of design reviews, technical submittals, RFI’s, etc.
• Administration of client executive architects & engineer’s team.
• Monitor client’s brief and maintaining project design intent standards.
• Co-ordination between D&B contractor and design consultants.
• Assist in liaison with client regarding budget & program management.
• Assist in Client relationship management incl.change control processes.
• Assist in management with client & operator of operational strategies.
• Managed value engineering & life cycle cost studies / progress reports.
• Managed & trained expatriate and local professional staff teams.
Architect / Managing Director
— Jul 2006
Incorporated Private Architectural Practice in Melbourne Australia with some overseas assignments in Indonesia.
Various Melbourne residential & commercial clients / projects including:
Client: RAIA Archicentre, Claims Project Manager
• Managed customer disputes and settlements
• Pre-purchase Inspections Architect
• Design Reports Architect
Client: Span Group Architectural Practice, Melb Aust. Consultant
(Management Systems Review 26/04/2001 to June 2002)
• Data Systems Review (incl. Budgeting & Programming)
• Business audit incl. review of management & documentation processes.
• Designed office management & documentation system for design
& documentation of multi-storey developments.
• Delegate to Australian Government IT Mission to India.
• Developed links with IT businesses for outsourced IT systems services.
• Developed functional specification data base for new IT software system.
• Co-coordinated international tendering for IT software development.
• Conducted workshops (incl.power point presentations) about the Project.
• Detailed analysis and reporting of preliminary IT Submissions
• Advising about and assisting with preliminary market research for
Procurement of a new software system.
• Review based on high rise tower projects (20 – 30 levels).
Client: State of Victoria Treasury Place, Melbourne, Aust. Government Offices Renovation During period Nov 2002 to Dec 2004 - (Value AUD 7 million)
Project Manager / Architect (with FPPV architects)
• Government offices refurbishment works contract administration.
• Construction, Completion & Handover phases
Various CAD Design Development & Documentation clients:
• National Australia Bank Fit out – Working Drawings.
• Marque Hotel (80 rooms) - Working Drawings.
• Hungry Jacks Food Chain – Retail Working Drawings.
Client: Lanteri Partners Wealth Management – Melb. Aust.
During period June 2000 to July 2006
Several developments / Multistory apartments (up to 15 levels).
Consultant Architect / Client Representative
• Concept design to project completion.
• Design Audits / Site Handover Inspections.
• Condition Reports and Feasibility studies.
Client: Design Inc - Project: Emaar Properties Food Courts at The Dubai Mall – Dubai, UAE During period 20/10/2005 to 15/03/2006
• Design Development / 3D CAD design & documentation.
• Liaison between Melbourne, Indonesia & Dubai offices.
Client: Building Commission of Victoria During period Sept 2004 to July 2006
Consultant Building Inspector
• Consultant Building Inspections & Reports.
• Expert witness in building disputes.
Client: Oasis Shopping Centre – Queensland, Aust.
During period 14/03/2005 to 08/09/2005
Site Architect (PERT Consultants)
• Refurbishment works supervision.
• 3D CAD design & documentation.
Client: Graduate Union Building (Value AUD 7 million) Melbourne, Aust.
During period 01/03/2005 to 15/10/2005
• Head Quarters building for Graduate Union of University of Melbourne.
• 8 level commercial / residential building with student data centre.
• Consultant Project Director representing the client for project completion.
• Distressed project intervention.
• Project audit to determine completion strategy.
• Directed consultants & contractor in order to achieve dispute resolution.
• Monitored and reported to client regarding program, budget and quality.
May 1999 to June 2000
Client: Golden Eagle Retail/Residential Centre (Value AUD 50 million)
Project Manager / Project Architect (A. Genser & Associates)
• Full Project Management responsibility.
• Managed team of approx. 20 Architects & Consultants.
• Project Programming & Financial Feasibility Reporting.
• Client Representative to Consultants/ Marketing Agents
• Design Development & Contract Documentation.
• Documentation Management / CAD Documentation.
• Developed / Monitored Construction & Operational budgets.
• Gave Technical & Operational advice to the Client.
May 1998 to April 1999
Client: Office of Major Projects, Federation Square Project (Value AUD 420 million)
• Responsible to the Project Director for the overall design & documentation
• Incl. Cinemedia offices, visitors data centre, Museum of Australian Art.
• Buildings included state-of-the-art high tech data & communications systems.
• Managed team - approx 50 architects & specialist consultants.
• Liaison with builder and design directors.
• Conducted a review of project scope & budgets for the project’s client.
June 1997 to March 1998
Client: JLW Indonesia
Mal Ratu Indah Shopping Centre Project (Value AUD70 million)
• Responsible for overall management for the project,
South Sulawesi, Indonesia - (40,000 sq. m.).
• Managed/trained/supervised approx 35 staff in 5 departments: Construction, Design, Fit-out, Promotion, Marketing and Administration.
• Developed project co-ordination system to maximize efficiency for design
and construction management.
Jan 1996 – March 1997
Client: Crown Ltd. Crown Casino Project (Value AUD 2 Billion)
• Co-coordinated Architects / Interior Designers / Consultants.
• On-going architectural documentation packages incl. data access floor system.
• “Trouble-shooting” site related issues.
• Supervision of Builder’s personnel to achieve highest quality finishes.
• Responsible for advice’s in regards to contract administration matters to
ensure successful project delivery.
June to Dec 1995
Client: Lippoland Development, Jakarta, Indonesia
Lippo Supermal Shopping Centre (Value AUD 220 million)
• Set up Tenancy Co-ordination Department (approx. 20 staff) at Indonesia’s
largest Shopping Mall project (210,000Sq. M.).
• Developed Tenancy Co-ordination System including: Programming and
• Implemented training of local staff and new recruits to meet the requirements of a rigorous project schedule.
• Responsible for performance of the Tenancy Co-ordination division including budgeting, programming and quality.
Architect & Project Manager
— May 1995
PROJECT HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDE:
Design Reports & Pre-purchase Inspections Architect (1990 - 1995)
• Architectural Design & Documentation for private residential clients.
New Sunbury Square Shopping Centre Victoria (Nov 1998 - Dec 1989)
Consultant Tenancy Co-ordinator
• Consultant responsible for all Tenancy related matters.
• Developed & Implemented Tenancy Co-ordination System.
Extension to Highpoint Shopping Centre (Sept 1987 - Oct 1988)
Assistant Project Development Manager
• Directed Consultants & Project Team.
• Managed Tenancy Co-ordination Department with 5 staff.
Target Project Manager - Store Fitouts (July 1986- Aug1987)
Chadstone/ Southland/ Malvern Central/ Le Pines Centres
• Project Manager for roll out of new Target Stores including staff offices.
• Responsible from design inception to project completion
incl. handover to operations.
Geelong Market Square & Corio Village Shopping Centres (1984-1986)
• Consultation in regards to all tenancy related matters.
• Preparation & administration of Tenancy Guidelines & Fit-out Programs.
Chadstone Shopping Centre – Architect (1984)
• Architectural Documentation / Services Co ordination.
Design Reports & Pre-purchase Inspections Architect (1982 - 1983)
• Architectural Design & Documentation.