Control and Instrumentation Engineer
Last Updated: 25th June 2018 (over 4 years ago)
- Field IO: Hardwired IO, field terminations, communication buses (HART, fieldbus), serial
communications, signal classification and segregation, electro-magnetic compatibility, cable selection and installation.
- Control Theory: Gap control, PID control, cascade/feed forward control theory, tuning.
- Fiscal Metering Systems: Flow meters - selection, specification & calibration, provers, flow computers.
- SCADA / ICSS Systems: Control system specification, control modes, alarms, HMI,
- Maintenance (experience in ABB, YOKOGAWA SCADA/ICSS systems).
- Safety Instrumented Systems: Safety lifecycle, HAZOP, LOPA, other assessment techniques, safety requirement specifications, implementation, verification / reliability calculation, SIS maintenance and operations, modifications and decommissioning.
- Field Devices: Transmitters, switches, valves, gauges - selection, operation, proof testing, hazardous area certification, weatherproof certification, electromagnetic compatibility, field wiring, IS (intrinsically safe) design etc.
- Fire and Gas Detection: Building fire detection and field fire detection - requirements, specification, selection, fire alarm control panels.
- Integrity Management: Safety critical equipment -design & maintenance, assurance processes.
- Management of Change: - Engineering, planning & implementation of changes.
- Engineering Documentation - (ISO) Documentation requirements for Instrumentation and Control.
Control and Instrumentation Systems
— Dec 2005
Lead Control and Instrumentation Engineer
- Working in close cooperation with EPC-contractors, Authorities and Vendors to translate functional specifications into technical solutions.
- Participate in the design of the Control Systems and (Field) Instrumentation of a new petrochemical plant.
- Design, installation, FAT, SAT of YOKOGAWA’s DCS/ESD (ProSafe-RS/CentumVP), Asset Management System (PRM) systems.
- Responsible for updating the Smart Plant Instrumentation database.
- Responsible for the Control System and instrumental content of mechanical equipment specifications (e.g. package units or static equipment).
- Writing and reviewing material specifications and installation contracts.
- Reviewing vendor documentation for Control Systems and (Field) Instrumentation.
- Procurement of Control Systems equipment and (Field) Instrumentation including attending and reporting Factory Acceptance Tests.
- Perform squad check of vendor equipment drawings and drawings from other disciplines.
- Participate and assisting with the field implementation during the construction phase, such as Site Acceptance Tests.
- Interface with other design engineering disciplines and local authorities.
- Develop and review project Scope of Services, Scope of Facilities, and other project baseline documents for all phases of projects.
- Develop and review estimates and schedules, progress reports, including manpower forecasts.
- Establish, track, and monitor material key quantities; provide analysis and forecasts.
- Develop and review specifications, including design criteria.
- Incorporate health, safety, and environmental factors in design.
- Develop and update job execution plans.
- Develop and build external relations with vendors, and subcontractors and interface closely with other discipline functions.
- Participate in activities associated with equipment and material procurement, permitting, and Subcontracting.
- Review and approve vendor lists, prepare quotation requests/bid tabulations/purchase orders and review substitutions for technical acceptability.
- Assign work to teams, monitor and manage the work.
- Perform and check calculations, specify equipment, and solve problems of difficult engineering complexity on several projects.
- Establish and lead the squad check effort for vendor equipment documentation for assigned equipment.
- Review vendor equipment documentation within the discipline and from other disciplines for compliance with project requirements, and actively seek discrepancy resolution.
- Prepare/review scopes of work for third party contracts.
- Support proposal and estimate activities.
- Identify deviations in job scope, estimate magnitude of changes, and initiate trends or change orders.
- Adhere to industry codes and standards as well as department practices and procedures.
- Promote and support the project value creation effort.
- Serve as Supervising Lead providing guidance/supervision to other leads.
- Direct and oversee audits and peer reviews.
- Assist in the development of department standards, procedures, practices, and guidelines.
- Typically manage personnel and provide an environment for the development and professional advancement of staff members, including on-the-job and formal training and development opportunities, timely performance feedback, and performance appraisal input and counselling.
- Maintain compliance with all applicable policies, procedures, and global standards.
- Perform control systems sizing calculations for control valves, relief valves, flow elements, thermowells and other instrumentation.
- Prepare complex instrument design and installation requirements.
- Develop complex control systems logic diagrams and/or cause and effect diagrams.
- Represent Control Systems in model reviews; closely monitor 3D modeling prepared by the design group using review software.
- Develop complex specifications for Distributed Control Systems (DCS), Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) and Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS) hardware and software applications.
- Monitor DCS/PLC/SIS design developed by the design group.
- Provide leadership to analyzer specialist team on large or complex systems project.
- Specify suitable analyzers and sampling systems from physical and chemical data provided by the project’s process engineer.
- Develop control systems control and safeguarding narratives for complex control and/or logic where analyzers and analyzer systems are utilized.
- Manage an analytical system integration contractor and interface with control systems
automation group for large complex projects.
Control Systems Engineer
— Apr 2015
- Configuration, programming and maintenance of ABB AC400, AC400 Safeguard and AC800.
- Proactively acting on ICSS issues and assisting the BP Offshore and Onshore assets with process issues.
- Implement upgrades and/or modifications to the ICSS in accordance with the BP’s MoC requirements.
- Support the plans for the growth of the ABB volume within Caspian Healthcare by increasing the ABB portfolio as well as new business opportunities to meet the budget targets.
- Supporting the delivery of the Service (Healthcare) strategy and operate within the framework that allows the team to perform effectively and deliver the BP Caspian healthcare portfolio.
- Ensure all projects are planned and performed within budget and time constraints, and in agreement with contractual requirements.
Instrumentation and Control Systems Engineer
— Aug 2014
- Performance of root cause of failures’ analysis and troubleshooting, studies, project safety reviews and HAZOP.
- Attendance of Factory Acceptance Tests, validation of the built equipment.
- Tracking and control costs / budget for own projects.
- Close work with vendors which are utilized to support on-going operations, management of third-parties work.
- Technical troubleshooting and assistance to the maintenance staff in resolving
instrumentation control and instrument related problems.
- Design reviews and comments for the project, review project proposals and detailed design packages.
- Field engineering at site, pre-commissioning, commissioning and start up support.
- Provide technical support for all field instrumentation and control systems and subsystems on export pipelines facilities.
- ESD and fire and gas operating philosophies, P&IDs and cause and effect charts review.
- Take part in HAZOP/LOPA studies and provide support for management of change (MOC) if required.
- Prepare engineering budgetary cost estimates.
- Attend factory acceptance tests and site acceptance tests for instrument items as well as equipment package control systems.
- Support operations and maintenance of Oil and Gas Export pipelines, pumping stations, oil terminals.
- Lead and Coordinate the changes related with instrumentation and control systems.
- SCADA/ICSS (ABB, Siemens) systems.
- PLCs/RTUs (Siemens S7-400H, Allen-Bradley, ABB, Yokogawa).
- Leak Detection System (ATMOS).
- Vibration Monitoring System (General Electrics - Bentley/Nevada).
- Fire prevention systems and practices.
- Micropack, Vesda, Autronica fire and gas detection systems.
- Control loop performance monitoring.
- Regulatory control scheme design, modification and maintenance.
- Safety system (logic solver) software verification and validation
- Automation system change control (creation and adoption).
- Automation system software upgrades and management procedures.
- Automation system digital security.
- C&A input to process incident investigations.
- Engineering and technical support (including field trips) to the pipeline facilities achieving its production, safety and performance targets.
Control Systems Engineer
— Jan 2007
(Object Pascal / Delphi, C++, HTML).
- Air Traffic Control Systems Technical Maintenance.
- Radar Surveillance Systems.
- Voice Recording/Archiving Systems.
- Radar data processing systems.