SENIOR OPERATIONS ACCOUNTANT
Last Updated: 17th July 2018 (over 4 years ago)
Key knowledge and expertise include:
• Joint Venture Accounting: 16 years of relevant experience that covered daily and month end GL review and analysis, issued partner billings, cash advance requests and management reports for different country operations.
• Production/Revenue Accounting: Verified and distributed oil and gas sales proceeds and issued production and inventory volumes statements to all JV partners for operations.
• Financial Analysis & Reporting: Analyzed monthly operational data transactions, reconciled GL account balances, prepared and issued monthly and period - end financial statements.
• Project Finance: Monitored and analyzed seismic and oil and gas well drilling campaign expenditures in 5 different country operations along with the construction of oil and gas pipelines.
• Cash Flow Forecasting: 10 years monitoring the joint ventures’ cash position for different country operations.
• Govt./JV Partner/Statutory Audits: Completed successful results for government (cost recovery) audits through communication and delivery of required financial information and completed audit working papers. Involved with statutory audits (16 years) and JV audits (11 years).
• Banking, Payables & Receivables: Developed excellent working relationships with bank personnel. Implemented a new procedure to reduce time required to pay operating invoices while improving company’s cash flow position by securing overdue receivables.
• Budgeting & Variance Analysis: Prepared and presented operating and capital budgets over a 16-year period. Delivered monthly variance analysis with an explanation of all major variances for discussion with management.
• Process Development & Improvement: Developed and implemented new processes for Yemen and Syrian operations with an ongoing review for all country operations.
• Training & Management: Mentored, trained and coached a total of 27 team members, of which 18 were accountants, for all country operations. Management activities included setting goals/objectives and conducting performance appraisals.
• Teamwork: Adept at working within a team, motivating team members to ensure high quality work was delivered on time. Skilled at recognizing individual strengths, ensuring better results performance improvement.
• Information Technology: Proficient with SUN, Q-byte and OPTIX, AFE Navigator, Microsoft Office: Power Point (Intermediate) and Excel (Basic) and Word.
Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA), Certified Management Accountant (CMA) Designation
— Jul 2018
Bachelor of Business Administration
Leave of Absence
Manager, Accounting Operations
— Nov 2012
• Increased percentage of audited and approved recoverable costs (audited costs avg. US $4.0 million quarterly) from 85% to 97% by managing recovery audits and facilitating open communication with government auditors.
• Implemented Finance procedures for cost recovery audits, monthly inventory movement (avg. inventory US $1.0 million) and monthly payments of vendor invoices (US $ 1.0 million).
• Project Finance cost control covered a 4-well drilling program, 3-D seismic and field inventory purchases.
• Controlled operations of Q-byte accounting software along with accurate management and financial reporting each month.
• Promoted proper cash management, invoices approved and paid within the standard 30-day period along with on-time collection of receivables.
• Coordinated budget activities for Syrian operations including supporting a senior accountant in Brunei during country budget process (Budgeted costs per country US $20.0 million-US $25.0 million).
• Conducted staff performance reviews for accuracy and compliance with all standards and procedures.
— May 2009
• Handled project expenditures for a drilling campaign of 4-gas wells (US $6.0 million/well) along with early construction costs for a 45 km gas pipeline.
• Introduced new policies to shorten the time to approve and pay accounts payable drilling invoices from 2+ months to 1 month and calculate the credit worthiness of local companies seeking company business.
• Managed Employee activities including setting goals and objectives, appraisals and operational performance.
• Improved company’s cash flow by reduction of outstanding receivables from US $10.7 million to US $1.5 million.
• Completed statutory and JV partner audits by providing responses and financial information for review.
Financial & Administration Manager
— Sep 2007
• Supervised all daily and month end close activities while issuing error free financial and management reports.
• Analyzed expenditures for 3-well drilling campaign along with early construction of a 60 km oil pipeline.
• Collaborated with a local IT company and in-house experts on implementing the SUN accounting software.
• Incorporated new processes for all departments. Constant review for improvements and efficiencies.
• Aided cost recovery auditors in a seven-year US $105.0 million audit with 85% of total expenditures approved.
• Generated the annual budget for entire country operations with costs from US $25.0 million - US $60.0 million.
• Delivered operational leadership, training, mentorship, and support to 14 employees.
— May 2005
• Researched and analyzed Exploration and Production Sharing Agreements and Joint Operating Agreements ensuring accuracy of the joint venture accounting data.
• Reduced outstanding receivables from US $2.3 million to US $0.8 million by establishing contact and follow-up.