Project Delivery Manager / Project Manager / Construction Manager / Director
Last Updated: 28th March 2018 (over 4 years ago)
103 Canoe Place SW
Dear Sir / Madam:
Please find the enclosed resume detailing my experience, training, and employment history for your consideration.
As indicated in my resume, my work experience has been of a responsible, independent nature. These functions have proven my capabilities to perform and maximize results. The position applied for would allow me the opportunity to use my strong interpersonal skills in coherence with the knowledge and experience I have gained including fifteen plus years in Senior Managerial Roles. At this time it is important for me to utilize these qualities to obtain a permanent employment in a challenging growth oriented environment such as your company offers.
I am offering my exceptional skills, drive and determination to your progressive team oriented organization and look forward to undertaking a challenging, and rewarding post within your organization.
Ron W. Groves, C.E.T., PMP
RON W. GROVES, C.E.T., PMP
A DYNAMIC INFLUENTIAL LEADER
WHO BELIEVES IN
RESPONSIBLE ENERGY DEVELOPMENT
103 Canoe Place SW Airdrie, AB T4B 2L5
Home: +1-403-948-9514 Cell: +1-403-813-2386
Skype ID: Ron_Groves17
Program Delivery Manager
I am holding a successful 27-year globally exposed managerial background with senior level (North America, MENA & Central Africa including challenging and hostile militant “Frontier” type locations) experience including cross sector exposure. Delivering the company’s vision to build and implement sophisticated plans with a proven track record, supporting all business needs in delivering full Program lifecycle implementations to tight time scales and within budget. Self-driven, self-reliant and achieve targets whilst leading by example. Adopting a collaborative approach with good interpersonal skills to engage, motivate and encourage my multicultural teams to exceed the goals and objectives. Highly focused with a consistent track record of successfully executing Programs in remote / harsh / desert / jungle / muskeg / mountainous / arctic environments (-45oC to +60oC).
Providing Program Delivery Management services for Global Operators on multiple concurrent, multifaceted projects and being accountable for the program success.
• Managing EPC, Engineering and Prime contractors during full project life cycle.
• Stakeholder engagement and management, both internal and external.
• Steering Committees, MANCOM, ExCOM, and OpCOM
• Formulation of Program strategies – including strategic vendor alliances, Joint Ventures and Partnerships.
• Championing HAZOP, HAZID, PEER Reviews, coaching PSM and Nationalization Programs.
• Accountable for department input contributing to corporate long term financial and strategic plans.
• Effectual program management of both CAPEX and OPEX based / funded projects including funding plan development.
• Successfully direct all projects through assigned Stage Gate Processes as per Corporate Governance.
• Efficaciously conveyed monthly meetings with Executive Management / C - Suite Executive and Partners.
• Demonstrated ability to lead personnel & execute small to large scope projects (oil sands, SAGD, conventional, non-conventional, civil, on shore drilling support, pipelines 4”-56”, facility - CPF & ancillary, sweet and sour products) from Concept through Execution (pre-FEED, FEED, EPC/EPCM, fabrication yards, installation, SIMOPS, commissioning & turn over to operations).
• Driving compliance and assurance to ISO, BS, CSA, ASME and various foreign standards, practices, procedures, and specifications in a variety of geopolitical climates on mega-projects.
• Successfully employ industry knowledge and ingenuity to come up with solutions where there is more than one approach available.
• Seen as an expert with high technical knowledge, experience and astute business acumen.
Arkad Engineering & Construction 2016 - 2017
Program Director (Contract Rotational Position) – Head Office, Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
• LSTK EPC mixed Greenfield / Brownfield Projects consist of ~1500km of 56”, 46”and 12” – 24” gas lines and AGI’s.
• Program Delivery Management services for in-country project activities stationed in Head Office.
• Setting up PMO, selecting and building a 7000+ member, diverse Multi-Cultural Project & Construction Team to execute programs across the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
• Current Program(s) Value ~ $2.0BN USD
• Saudi Aramco - MGS (Master Gas System) Phase II Program (Contracts 1, 2 & 3), Greenfield / Brownfield development,
• Saudi Aramco - Mazalij Abu Jifan - Khurais Al Crude Increment Project,
• Saudi Aramco - Fadhili Downstream Pipeline Project,
• Effectively made decisions and recommendations on highly technical or complex issues and without formal guidelines or precedents and exercised resourcefulness and ingenuity to interpret policy.
Interserve Engineering & Construction 2015 - 2016
Senior Project Manager (Contract Rotational Position) – Muscat, Oman
• Set up Project E&P Management Office, select and build a 540 member, diverse Multi-National Construction Team to execute assigned project in a remote part of the Omani desert crossing multiple major WADI’s and steep Jebels.
• Project Value ~ $50MM USD – BP Oman Khazzan Sour Gas Export Pipeline consisting of 60km of 36” High Pressure utilizing automatic welding process.
• Construction Project Management for in-country project activities stationed in the Affiliate Office.
• Took project from CONTRACT award stage through to construction operations.
Glencore E&P Canada Ltd. 2014 – 2015
Project Delivery Manager (Construction Team Lead) – (Contract Rotational Position) – Country HO, Ndjamena, Chad Africa
• Managing a distinct Multi-National team of personnel of 2-Superintendents, 2-Engineers, 18-Site Supervisors, 4- Security Officers and 24-Engineering assistants to safely complete assigned projects in a vast, hazardous, very challenging and extremely remote areas in Central Africa ahead of schedule and below budget by 8% overall,
• Responsible for Annual Aggregate Project Values capping to $450MM USD ($1.9BN USD Annual Country Budget),
• Construction Project Management services for in-country project activities stationed in Country Head Office.
• Successful simultaneous management of projects across several areas – Badila, Mangara, Doba, Sahr, Kibea, Tega, Borogop & East Chari.
• Ensuring adherence to Daily Security Plans by incorporating latest intelligence regarding potential and imminent security risks involving groups including Boko Haram, Central African Republic / Sudanese Rebels and others to all operations.
• Accountable for senior management of 14 projects across the country.
• Implementing corporate HSE and environmental procedures and reduced the group incident rate to 0.10.
• Demonstrated ability to lead personnel in the execution of:
o FEED for the initial field development of a 960km cross country 42”diameter oil export pipeline (Chad to Cameroon),
o Construction of 8 Well Pad Flowlines,
o Slope stabilization,
o Construction of 17 oil well drilling pads,
o Drilling & Construction Waste Management,
o Facility (Badila CPF 20,000 BOEPD expansion, Mangara Early Well Test (EWT) Facility) projects from various stages of conception to execution (FEED, Detailed Design, procurement, site installation and construction).
• Developed and implemented a competency based training program.
• Direct the Procurement Department in the preparation of documentation for construction tendering. Partake in the selection & evaluation compliance process and recommendation of both Local and International Contractors.
• Contract accountable for approving contract variations and payments within limits of authority or endorse and forward to higher authority.
• Ensured the timely submission of detailed clear-cut monthly reports showing the status of design, material procurement, construction, milestones, AFE commitments, payments, charges, and any variances from standards, waivers and problems for corporate management, (Calgary, Canada/London, UK).
Devon Energy 2013 – 2014
Site Project Manager, (Contract Rotational Position) Pike Infrastructure Projects (Devon / BP Canada JV), Conklin, AB
• Project Aggregate Value ~ $450MM,
• Construction Project Management of:
o Construction of a Best In Class – LEED Silver - Pike Lodge consisting of a 2500 man central - self sustained work camp facility,
o 20km of 8” water and 6” gas pipeline installations,
o Kirby Lake airport runway expansion, including fuel storage and secondary containment installation,
o Hazardous Waste Landfill.
Nexen Inc – A CNOOC Limited Company, 2008 – 2013
Project Delivery Manager (Construction Team Lead) – Corporate Head Office, Calgary, AB
• Held full responsibility and accountability for Construction Execution Department activities for Nexen’s Oils Sands Business Unit for The Long Lake Project ($8.1BN Project).
• Winter (OSE) core & SAGD (Steam Assisted Gravity Drainage) long reach horizontal well drilling project, SADG multi-well pad construction, well pad tie-in (HP steam, fuel gas & emulsion lines), well pad module installations, storage tanks, developing project execution plans, workface planning, contractor appraisal, team training, Supply Chain Management (SCM) and estimating.
• Responsible for full Departmental reporting to Senior Management, Partners and C- Suite Management.
• Amassed Annual Project Value ~ $500MM
• Advanced departmental operational efficiencies and achieved average cost reduction of ~27%,
• Lead campaign to completed the following projects:
o 5 multi-well (from 18 – 36 wells/pad) SAGD well pad Civil Construction for drilling / completions operations,
o Above Ground Emulsion Flow Line / Steam Injection Flow Line & Production Module installations for 5 SAGD multi-well pads
o 5 projects consisting of Above Ground insulated flow line, insulated steam line (16” Q&T pipe), gas line and communications fiber optic for SAGD well pads, low point drain tanks,
o Spearheaded 18 Winter OSE (Oil Sands Exploration) drilling campaigns by constructing 957 drilling locations and over 2000km of infrastructure across 4 independent OSE project areas.
o Lead the construction of an 800 man semi-permanent work camp
• Actively liaise closely with the Project Team, other Project Managers, and technical / functional support services to ensure all aspects of project execution are on track and coordinated.
• Ensure Project Execution Plan, Construction Execution Plan, Project Quality Plan and other execution documents are continuously reviewed and updated to reflect the current strategies and influences upon the project.
• Ingeniously interacted with interdisciplinary department managers in efforts to ensure all cost / milestones are adhered to.
• Demonstrated ability to lead personnel & execute large scope projects from conception to execution (conceptualization, FEED, procurement, site installation, drilling and construction)
• Coordinate cost estimation, the preparation of AFEs.
• Continuously direct the staffing of the project team, which will vary over the various phases of the projects.
• Coordinate the preparation of documentation for the construction bidding. Direct in the selection of and tender approval process.
• Formulate monthly reports showing the status of design, material procurement, construction, milestones, AFE commitments, payments, charges, and variances from standards, waivers and problems.
• Assertively champion the MOC (Management of Change) process to ensure project costs targets of +0% to -10% of budget achieved.
TAQA North Ltd. 2006 - 2008 Field Project Manager Central Alberta (Contract)
• Effectively manage project construction field activities for TAQA North Ltd. (Northrock Resources Ltd.)
• Including civil, drilling support, camp construction, oil & gas well tie-ins and remote facility construction.
• Annual Combined Project Value ~ $80MM
Husky Energy Inc. 2003 – 2006
Field Project Manager NE Alberta (Contract)
• Held full field responsibility for and achieved the successful completion of all Project Field activities for Husky Oils Sands Business Unit including:
o Winter Delineation Program (OSE) drilling program,
o SAGD Horizontal Well Drilling and Well Pad Construction,
o Well tie ins of variable diameter and lengths of pipeline installations,
o LSTK CPF construction supervision,
• Annual Cumulative Project Value ~ $150MM
• Projects completed – Cherpeta Gas Project, Husky Tucker Lake SAGD Drilling & Construction Project (Well Pads, Flowlines, export pipeline, Field Pumping Station and CPF with 30,000 BOE/d design capacity) and OSE programs, Husky Sunrise SAGD Oil Sands Planning Project.
BP Canada Energy Company, Calgary, AB 2000 – 2003
Project Delivery Manager (Construction Team Lead) – Corporate Head Office
• Responsible for building a successful team and provide overall direction to the Construction / Surface Land related functions in BP Canada - Canadian Gas BU. Effectively manage a large team of direct reports including: one Construction Superintendent, three Surface Landmen, twelve Surface Land Administrators, one Waste / Environmental Coordinator, one Field Safety Supervisor and thirteen Field Construction Foremen.
• Annual Summative Project Value ~ $150MM
• Create an efficient environment in which the Construction Team works effectively to exceed team goals that directly contribute to department and company goals being realized. Specifically, providing leadership in the design, HSE Excellence, planning, overall projects management to construction, pipelines, surveying, remote camps, surface rights acquisition and waste management services to the Performance Units.
• Responsible for directing the field consultants in the day-to-day construction operations and coordinating the whole for BP Canada. The assignment of appropriate personnel, equipment and resources to complete the construction projects while exceeding all metrics,
• Responsible for the development of improved Company practices for surface rights, construction, waste management, and liaison with government personnel involved with site selection, land conservation and reclamation,
• Responsible for increasing core competencies of the Construction / Surface Land Team through coaching, assignment to developmental opportunities and behavioral skills courses as appropriate,
• Actively involved in industry wide task forces, associations and regulatory committees as appropriate to maintain BP’s presence in industry and provide input into formulation of regulations.
• Reporting directly to BP CGBU - VP Growth.
Cabre Exploration Ltd., Calgary, AB 1995 - 2000 Project Delivery Manager (Construction Team Lead) – Corporate Head Office
• Successful in effectively completing all company operated drilling construction, civil, pipelines of 4” to 8” in size and of varied distances & facilities, 30 MMSCF gas plant construction, booster compressor installation, reclamation, remote camps, decommissioning / remediation programs were completed ahead of schedule, below budget while exceeded all HSE metrics.
• Annual Collective Project Value ~ $75MM
• Supervise and direct field operations of up to 24 projects at a single time.
• Accurately coordinate completion of all regulatory documentation / applications as required.
• Efficiently worked as a team with engineering, surface land, drilling and completions departments to maintain on time / on budget performance.
• Regularly conducted field inspections to ensure and assist in efficient operations while creating effective relationships with contractors, consultants and field personnel.
• Successful and cost effective management of facility decommissioning / reclamation / abandonment of oil sites.
• Reporting to VP Operations.
Greenway Corporation, Airdrie, AB 1991 - 1995
Manager of Construction
• Coordinate Field Construction activities – Annual Average Project Value ~ $20MM
• Projects included well site development, shallow gas well drilling, tie-ins and field facilities.
PMP Certification - PMI Member #2813783
CET (Chemical Engineering) Certification – ASET Member #014913
SOUTHERN ALBERTA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, Calgary, AB
Associate Degree - Chemical Engineering – 1991
Graduate - Wm. E. Hay Composite High School, Stettler, AB - 1988
Commissioner for Oaths in and for the Province of Alberta – Appointee # 0716791
— Aug 2020
Certified Engineering Technologist
— Jan 2019