Project Construction Manager
Last Updated: 27th April 2018 (over 4 years ago)
Business Administration Degree
Certified Associate in Project Management
— Apr 2016
PMI Member #2664610
Graduate Certificate in Values Based Leadership
— Sep 2012
Communication and Telemetry Equipment for Mining Operations Worldwide
• Updated Project Management Systems to include the use of documentation templates such as risk registers, PEP, PQP, stakeholder analysis, risk assessments and method statements. This allowed the team to better respond to the needs of the client and the project
• Successful submission of multiple RFP’s within a strict timeframe that presented the company some unique opportunities within the industry. Revenue of over $5m achieved through due diligence and commitment
• Coordination of activities for RFP submission, including bid proposals, risk management, execution plans, cost analysis, schedules, quality plans and safety plans
• Manage multiple projects from conception to completion in varying industries such as oil & gas, coal mines and gold mines
• Defined, controlled and monitored progress towards strategic targets through deliverables list, WBS and project plans; including risk management, activities list, resource list, milestones and schedules
• Maintained accuracy and attention to detail when preparing detailed weekly reports for stakeholders
• Track progress and generate detailed reports for stakeholders, addressing any project deviations and developing mitigation plans as required
Project Construction Manager
— Jul 2017
A new build project which involved the design, installation and commissioning of multiple systems, including Security Access Control, CCTV, fibre optic network, structured cabling systems, electrical distribution and voice radio equipment.
As a team, we maintained an excellent safety record with zero LTI and multiple safety recognition awards from the client.
I also ensured that the manpower requirements were levelled and was able to reduce the project performance factor from 1.08 to 1.01.
I worked very closely with the QA/QC team and was able to complete work with zero NCR’s.
As result of our excellent safety record, work ethic and standard of execution the project team was able to secure additional electrical scope with an expected value of $150m.
o Manage the project team, including multiple sub-contractors
o Review and approve project documentation, including risk assessments, job safety analyses, work packages, change requests, LEMs and material requests
o Ensure work is executed to the required standards using the agreed processes
o Track progress against the schedule & budget baselines and compile detailed weekly reports for stakeholders
o Report to the project management team, on all aspects of construction including financial, work progress, earned value management analysis and look ahead forecasts
o Maintain project documentation, including Risk Register, Change Register, specialized equipment register and inspections punch-lists
o Work in close liaison with the clients Quality and Turnover departments to ensure completion and handover of the various project phases was accepted and signed off
• Syncrude - Voice Radio Replacement Project (Project value $30m)
Replacement of the existing voice radio system with a brand new Motorola P25 system.
I planned and directed the work execution teams to ensure that this challenging project was completed on time and within budget.
The project required the installation of new base control sites, complete with antennae, and the deployment of end user equipment including mobile and fixed radio stations. The project team was also responsible for all user training in order to ensure that operators were given the opportunity to become familiar with the new technology prior to going live with the full system.
We were able to maintain an impeccable safety record and completed the work with a TRIR of zero.
o Work closely with the different user groups to confirm their communication equipment requirements and coordinate the deployment of the new assets
o Attend daily meetings, with the client and Motorola, and submit plans to ensure that any potential disruptions to business through loss of communication have been addressed and either eliminated or mitigated
o Perform QAQC inspections and develop reports for senior management review
o Develop training schedules for the site staff of over 2500 personnel
o Develop switch over plans that and present the details to the various operations groups for review
o Maintain work logs, time and material reports, procurement reports and asset logs
Area Services Manager
— Jan 2012
I managed the maintenance team responsible for the continuous operation of critical systems such as voice radio, data and telemetry systems for mine vehicles, fibre optic network and life safety systems.
Through planning and structured execution we were able to maintain an excellent track record of job completions; averaging 100 preventative, corrective and/or remedial completions per week for the 8 person team.
I received commendations, from Imperial Oil senior representatives, for my management of a crisis situation when a mine vehicle inadvertently cut through the main fibre optic cable. This incident effectively isolated the plant from all off site communications and we were required to work around the clock to engineer an alternative fibre optic route and re-establish the communication links.
I was able to secure additional contracts to supply labour and materials for numerous services, including:
Commissioning of HVAC systems in all site facilities - value of $2.5m
Installation of fibre optic network and communication services for the Contractor office complex and laydown areas - value of $1.2m
Repair, upgrade and commissioning of Electric Heat Trace systems - value of $750k
• Syncrude - Site Services
I was responsible for the maintenance support teams for the mine vehicle telemetry equipment and associated systems.
This is a well-established site and with many different groups within the main operations department. I was able to work with the various leaders to develop and implement a preventative maintenance schedule which enabled us to improve efficiency of the systems and reduce the number of call-outs by 35% in the first 3 months.
I was also involved in the evaluation of the existing voice and data radio systems and was part of the team conducting evaluations of the new technology available.
As a result, we were able to secure additional contracts to supply equipment, materials and labour for two new projects:
Voice Radio Replacement - installation and commissioning of a new Motorola P25 system to be coordinated closely with the decommissioning of the existing EDACS system - value of $30m
Data Radio Replacement - field testing, coverage surveys, installation and commissioning of a new data radio and vehicle telemetry system - value $22m
o Managing a team of field technicians to ensure optimum service of communication systems within the main plant and mine areas.
o Developing all site specific project documentation for review and approval by the client.
o Maintaining project logs (work logs, safety reporting statistics, weekly reporting etc.).
o Compile data and issue reports, to the client, detailing KPI’s, MFL and “look ahead”.
o Compile and submit monthly invoices.
o Maintain the project cost control plan and highlight variances to the client.
o Manage field technicians schedule and ensure quality of work.
o Liaison with client to ensure service meets requirements.
o Development and implementation of MOC’s.
o Monitor system utilization and provide recommendations to optimize the system performance
Construction Support Lead
— Jan 2011
• Inspection of equipment prior, during and post installation to ensure all relevant standards, regulations and design criteria are being met and adhered to.
• Issuing NCR’s as required and following up to ensure they are rectified in a timely manner.
• Inspection of equipment received on site to ensure they are free of damage
• Co-coordinating the installation of equipment to ensure schedules are met.
• Advising contractors on correct installation methods to adhere with Canadian regulatory requirements