Senior Level Assignments – Techno-Commercial Roles in Energy Management
Last Updated: 26th July 2017 (over 5 years ago)
Associated with leading companies like Larsen & Toubro, Tata BP Solar India, Hitachi Metals (DHIL), Exide Industries, in various capacities, and handled UNDP assignment for Renewable Energy Promotion and business development in African market
Excellent understanding of On Grid and Off Grid PV Systems, PV Modules, PV Inverters, Trackers, BOS, other Industrial products, Boilers and Steam for Power and Processing, Storage batteries, Renewable Energy Projects (development and execution), Energy Optimization Solutions, Energy Markets, PV system design and component selection, Operations management, Project Execution and management, Project Selling, Concept Selling, Selling Strategies, Key Accounts and Relationship Management, Value Engineering, Business Process Re-engineering, Solar PV & Thermal systems, Energy Storage &energy trading. Sound Knowledge of Indian, Chinese, SAARC, East & Central African, Middle East and South East Asian markets.
An innate flair for accepting challenges and abilities in managing & leading sales, strategy formulation, market analysis and penetration, new business opportunities spotting, channel management, dealer operations, logistics and design functions and achieving desired targets. Competent in innovating effective solutions to the customer needs, with an aim to improve customer satisfaction and consequently customer loyalty, create repeat and referral business.
Trained as Silver Grade Business Excellence Assessor under Tata Business Excellence Programme, Key Account Management and Effective Sales strategies under Mercuri Goldmann. An effective communicator with excellent relationship building & interpersonal skills, strong, analytical, problem solving & organizational abilities. Adaptable and a quick learner; possess skills to work under pressure; Team player with strong analytical & organizational abilities.
M Tech in Energy Management
— Jun 2012
This was completed during my service with Tata BP Solar India
Masters in Business Management from the Departrment of Management Studies
— Jan 1996
This is a Full Time programme with admissions through all India competitive examination (GATE : Graduate Admission Test for Engineers) jointly conducted by all IITs and IISc
Bachelors in Engineering - Mechanical Engineering
— Jan 1993
Was the university topper for mechanical engineering stream for the same year
Chief Technical Officer with Lean Energy Solutions Nairobi
— Jul 2017
• Create and effectively manage a business vertical for Solar, Wind and Biomass Energy projects in East and Central African market (Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, South Sudan, Ethiopia and surrounding countries)
• Opportunity spotting, Project Development, Application Engineering and Technology Adoption suiting each project needs, in the areas of
o Sale of Solar PV and Solar Thermal products and solutions for domestic, commercial and industrial applications across various customers
o Commercial scale Rooftop PV projects of varying capacities
o Utility scale Solar / Wind / Geothermal Power projects under State Policies (Feed In Tariff) in these markets
o Large solar water heating solutions for many industries, Hotels and apartment complexes
o Creation of Mini Grid projects / Diesel PV Hybrid projects under World bank / AfDB / KfW and other multinational donor programmes
o Improve the existing business verticals of Energy Audits (investment Grade and compliance grade audits) among designated consumers markets, as per ERC regulations of Kenya, Tanzania and surrounding countries.
o Conversion of Conventional Oil fired boilers to Biomass Fired Boilers and promotion of Biomass Briquettes business (support environment and reduce carbon footprint)
o Biomass Briquette sales and market development among institutional customers
• Support Government and Donor Agencies (including KPLC, KAM, CIT, KERC, World Bank, AfDB, DNB, GIZ, KfW, UNIDO etc) in policy framework, project design and market development for ON-Grid Commercial Rooftops, Mini Grids / Stand Alone Grids (hybrid with storage solutions) for Rural electrification and home lighting projects across countries
• Support Schneider Electric (Lean Energy is a distributor of Schneider for East Africa) for promotion of its products and solutions for residential and utility scale solar and wind power projects in East African market
• Support Utility Scale Project Developers in Feasibility Analysis, Technology Selection, Sourcing and EPC, project management and funding from international financial markets
• Representing the company in business seminars and meetings of World bank, AfDB, KfW and other donor projects for East African Market
• Secured orders for over 140 Million KSH for Hybrid Solar PV Power Projects through Rural Electrification Authority (REA), GoK
• Securing funding of over 250 Thousand Euro from Swedish Govt for Biomass Pellet project for charcoal and paraffin displacement for Kenyan and Tanzanian market
• Launched solar water heating business vertical with successful generation of sales and project implementation for over 1 Million KSH within first 2 months
• Enabled KPLC to design a utility scale hybrid SPV power plant in Northern Kenya for stable grid power and Diesel abatement
• Secured orders and conducted detailed feasibility studies for many rooftop commercial scale on-grid solar power projects. Few projects already under active investment discussions
• Supporting two Utility scale projects (FIT) for project finance and co-investor selection
• Securing and conducted investment grade energy audits from customers in the region
• Obtaining commitments from many reputed clients for energy audits, boiler conversion, solar water heater for feed water pre heating and boiler integration projects
Consultant for Thermax, Karvy and other companies for Renewable energy
— Jan 2017
Head Operations, Head Strategic Sourcing, Head Renewable Business Development
— Aug 2016
Created a healthy, viable and vibrant pipeline of EPC Business prospects and bring them to order conversion level, through seamless interaction with all leading Project Developers
Met revenue targets consistently by Securing large value project orders from assorted corporate clients including Sun Edison, Kiran Energy, Reliance, Aditya Birla, GRT Group, Malpani Group etc
Effectively Represented the company at various national forums and seminars, exhibitions and trade events
Effectively promoted New Generation Energy Solutions including Trackers, Micro grids, energy storage and such advanced technologies
Closely worked with Domestic / Overseas Investors, new & upcoming project developers, consultants, Automotive OEMs and other large industrial and Commercial Power Consumers Financial Institutions, Lender’s engineers and other stakeholders for creating and implementing projects
Providing iLSTK (Integrated Lumpsum Turnkey) solutions by maintaining updated database on land parcels, and effectively utilizing the knowledge gained on permits, approvals, PPA & procedures, thereby enabling stakeholders to decide and execute projects seamlessly
Timely collection, Analysis and compilation of market intelligence and tracking competitor movements for creating appropriate counter-strategies for the company
Building Overseas Industry Contacts (especially China) through travelling and assorted Industry Sources and collecting intelligence on prevailing technologies and prices as well as the trends for modules, inverters, trackers, storage solutions etc
Effectively managing the Solar Business Team, Mentoring and Motivating to improve their strength
As Head – Strategic Sourcing and Products Development
Created a healthy pipeline of reliable supplier partners for all major components including PV modules, Inverters, Transformers, HT and LT switchgears, AC and DC cables, trackers, substation equipment, SCADA systems, Contractors, construction equipment suppliers and Facility / EHS contractors
Visited and maintained effective relationship with assorted suppliers and project locations in China and Thailand for better understanding of suppliers and live projects in different climatic conditions
Analysed many manufacturers for PV modules, Inverters, and other critical components, based on technology, BOM, manufacturing process and QA implementation, PID tolerance, Grid Fault tolerance, and other critical parameters.
Helped in value engineering and re-design of the new generation inverter solutions, Module Soiling Loss measurement kit, String Combiner Boxes and other critical components
As Head – Operations
Transferred the knowledge of solar project design and implementation and created a solar specific agile working team and culture within the company.
Successfully executed the first set of 110 MW of solar PV projects in Gujarat (Charanka Solar Park) and Rajasthan (Pokaran & Phalodi locations) for clients like Sun Edison, Reliance, Kiran Energy, Sun Clean Energy
Concurrently managed 7 different project teams, one for each major project, and effectively delivered these solar PV projects on time under adverse conditions and regulatory hurdles
Implemented the first Utility Scale (10 MW) Tracker based PV project in India (Azimuth Tracker technology)
Interfaced with Clients, Lenders, Owner’s Engineers and external agencies during project execution till handing over to the O&M team at site.
Head Large Commercial Projects, Head - Western and Southern Region
— Apr 2011
Conceptualizing, Designing, Optimizing and “Solutions Selling” of RE projects including Storage solutions, Solar Thermal Solutions through Direct and Retail network
Application Engineering and Design of projects based on site needs for on grid and off grid solar PV and solar Thermal projects across the region, covering Telecom, Railways, Oil and Gas, Banking industries and also large SWHS for Hotels, Hospitals, Industries, Steam augmentation and boiler feed water heating, etc
Manage Channel Partners, OEM network and Large Project Clients across both Southern and Western Regions to ensure smooth operations and maintaining brand image & visibility.
Manage Sales teams and the Southern, Western Region office and its Branches, dealer network, regional stock point, EHS, sales & service tax and other statutory compliances in lines with organizational requirements
Represent the company at various Industrial Seminars and Forums conducted by Govt of Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Karnataka, Tamilnadu, AP, and effectively promoted company’s view points appropriately
Framed Advertisement Campaigns with corporate support and created special awareness campaigns for increasing market visibility, product acceptability and reducing competition onslaught
Providing Energy consultancy services to educate clients for identifying various opportunities and concepts.
Spearheading new business development for grid connect, hybrid and stand alone spv solutions for commercial buildings, green building and green campus projects, assorted industries with special emphasis on telecom, banking, BPO and IT office space requirements, Malls, Hotels and resorts, Railways, Oil & Gas pipelines and offshore projects.
Formulate and implement strategies to ensure profitability, market share growth and new business development in both solar photovoltaic and solar thermal markets with keen focus on cash flows and receivables management.