Manager, Business Development and Marketing
Last Updated: 24th November 2017 (over 5 years ago)
I have a strong understanding of various contracting strategies and structures, the ability to identify special or onerous contractual risks, and formal training and hands on experience in contract negotiation.
I also have extensive experience in developing and delivering comprehensive pursuit strategies for multi-million dollar projects and a strong acumen for developing custom commercial models and estimates.
I have a proven ability to develop, implement, and get results from my employees through motivation, trust and confidence. I am an enthusiastic, flexible, confident, independent self-starter with a competitive drive and the ability to make decisions and take responsibility for them.
Bachelor of Engineering Science - Mechanical
— Apr 1996
Manager, Business Development & Marketing
Develop existing and new client relationships and business strategy while managing the overall pursuit process for energy related pursuits in the UAE, Iraq, Egypt, Qatar and Libya, including the supervision of Business Development Managers, the proposal department in the UAE and Qatar (Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Doha), ensure compliance with internal procedures for pursuit and proposal development, while maintaining location sales and marketing budget. As part of the senior leadership team, interface with the Location Director, Business Unit General Managers, Finance, Integrity and Assurance, and the Project Delivery Group to help ensure the successful day to day operations of the location business activities.
- Lead and supported several successful pursuits in excess of $30M USD each, including the IPMT for BGC Gas Rehabilitation Project in Iraq ($100M+ USD), the Lukoil Yamama FEED for Iraq ($39M USD), the ZADCO Facilities Capacity Enhancement PMC ($40M USD), and many others
- Successfully lead and managed a group of more than 10 people including Business Development Managers and the entire proposal group.
- Managed the migration of an outdated opportunity tracking system to the new WorleyParsons global system based on Microsoft’s CRM platform.
- Supported the successful implementation of the consulting business unit by leading the Business Development effort through engagement with key ADNOC group representatives at the VP and SVP levels.
- Successfully developed and launched WorleyParsons’ inaugural entry into ADIPEC in 2014, coordinating booth design, imagery and graphics, and marketing material.
Business Development Group, Manager of Proposals
— Jun 2012
Manage the development of all Power (Nuclear and Conventional), Oil & Gas, and Petrochemical pursuits, taking hand-over from business development managers to delivery of final submission, follow-up, and contract negotiation. Interface with client project managers and contracting staff to develop proposal and execution strategies in-line with client pain points and other undefined requirements. Coordinate with internal discipline leads, project management, and various global WorleyParsons offices to ensure a compliant and convincing proposal to help develop and secure new business for the Eastern Canada region. Organize and interface with Business Unit General Managers and senior management for reviews and approvals, proposal management, and quarterly business development reports.
- Modified existing proposal log to create a more efficient method of initiating a proposal and the subsequent follow-up process. This reduced the time required for administration of proposals by half.
- Reduced the development of monthly and quarterly reports from nine hours to less than two hours.
- Worked closely with the Business Development Managers to secure eight new projects in less than eight weeks, helping to maintain overall chargeability for the Markham Office.
- Developed strategic relationships with department heads to help garner support for the development of proposals.
- Led several pursuits with contract values in excess of $50 Million dollars.
- Co-developed a visual Go-Get excel based reporting system to help business development managers focus on important pursuits.
— Oct 2007
Develop new and maintain existing client relationships with major equipment OEM’s (GE Oil & Gas, Siemens, Flowserve, etc.), consulting engineering firms (Fluor, Bechtel, SNC, etc.), and end users or operators (Shell, ExxonMobil, etc.). Develop technical and commercial proposals for oil lubrication system packages and other auxiliary equipment for rotating machinery for the Oil & Gas sector. Lead a team of engineers and designers in successful completion of ongoing projects and develop and sustain a solid market advantage in the Oil & Gas and Petrochemical sector.
- As Team Leader, completely overhauled the design-to-manufacturing philosophy and process for custom API 614 lubrication systems resulting in an approx. 60% decrease in “on-the-floor” time required (5 weeks to 2 weeks), approx. 80% reduction in supplier rework, and approx. 40% reduction in total man-hours required for fabrication and assembly.
- As Team Leader, secured $3.3 million US dollars worth of contracts and named sole supplier for lube oil systems for the Shell Canada Scotford Upgrader Expansion 1 Project located close to Edmonton, Alberta.
- Successfully leading a team of Project and Design Engineers to design and build systems for the Petro-Chemical and Oil & Gas industry to API and ASME specifications for projects totaling over $8 million US dollars at any given time.
- As Project Engineer, successfully managed 22 projects with a total value of $2.6 million US dollars, approximately 75 individual lube oil systems with a maximum single project value of $0.75 million US dollars over a 2-year period.
- As Team Leader and Project Engineer, successfully prepared over 600 technical and commercial proposals worth a total potential value of over 95 million US dollars.
- Single handedly upgraded old excel based quote log to a multi-table based MS Access database that streamlined all report runs from over 12 hours per week to less than 20 minutes.
- Developed an advanced method of creating proposals for small lube oil systems that standardized on design layout, and on the components used. This allowed a reduction in parts stocked, an increase in purchasing power, and reduced engineering time per project.
Technical Sales Consultant, Product Support Engineer
— Feb 1999
Client-facing, independent sales responsibility for establishing new and maintaining existing client accounts in order to meet company sales targets. Provide technical expertise for hydraulic systems and components to customers in specified territory. In previous role, Provide project management and engineering expertise for hydraulic system orders as well as provide countrywide technical support for all industrial hydraulic pump and motor product lines. Support and regularly accompany non-technical Sales Consultants on client visits as required.
- Successfully managed to increase sales four-fold over previous years with certain existing customers.
- Managed to add several new customers in my territory, developing very strong relationships with a small handful of them.
- As a result of these successes in such a short period, my sales target for 2005 was doubled.
- As Project Engineer, successfully and simultaneously managed several projects worth over 5 million dollars while at the same time preparing and submitting proposals for many other potential orders.
- As Product Support Engineer, successfully provided detailed technical support on a daily basis to customers across Canada for all industrial hydraulic pumps and motors, including consulting with factories in the US and Germany for specialized applications.