OPERATIONS EXPERTISE COAL AND CCGT 30+ yrs exp TRAINING ENSURING BEST PRACTICE OPERATIONAL EXCELLENCE PLANS PROJECTS
Last Updated: 14th October 2017 (over 5 years ago)
Telephone: 00 44 (0)1446 772798
00 44 (0)7557 926 502
An accomplished and high achieving Power Station Operations Manager, with 34+ years success working at a senior level controlling power station operations and driving project performance at large Coal, Gas and Duel fired power plants. Proven track record of successfully managing large-scale operations, identifying efficiencies, delivering training, and maintaining quality standards.
An influential manager and team player that can motivate, educate and bridge the gap to achieve results by building long-term and mutually beneficial internal & external stakeholder relationships. Demonstrates full knowledge of Health & Safety protocol and experienced following company safety regulations and contributing to a safe working environment. Always looking to improve best practice to excellence and excited by new opportunities.
Operations Project Lead - High volatile (HiVM) coal conversion project / Shift Manager
Currently on secondment working collaboratively within a project team. The project is to design and implement modifications to Aberthaw Units 7, 8 and 9 coal handling, combustion systems and operating procedures to ensure that HiVM coals can be used safely to give the required NOx emissions and adequate unit operability. This will allow Aberthaw to have a more flexible fuel diet, allowing a wider fuel procurement capability which is vital in ensuring the longer term sustainability of the asset. The role is to lead the Operations workstream to provide the Operational input to assist with design, deliver updated site procedures, facilitate plant testing, commissioning, optimisation, briefing of Station staff and organising Operational training in line with the coal change. Participating in HAZOP/HAZID, Tendering for Contracts - raising technical queries before agreement. Commissioning activities and return to service.
— Jun 2013
Reporting to the Production Manager and responsible for the Station in the absence of the executive management. Lead for all technical, safety, environmental and commercial decisions within shift. Provide specialist knowledge, operational expertise, coordinate site incident response and provide the main point of contact with energy traders, National Grid, internal and external stakeholders.
Responsible for the management, performance, development and succession of a highly skilled team of Operations staff, including Engineers, Plant Operators and Ancillary staff. Also involved with the recruitment, selection & promotion of Operations staff across the business.
Chair for the daily Production meeting, setting the priorities in response to plant breakdowns and the coordination of technical, production and safety related incident investigations. Carryout authorised duties Outage management and training of staff under the RWE Generation Safety Rules. Enactment of authorised roles under National Grid Safety Rules, including Authorised Person and Safety Coordination across Company Control boundaries on 132KV, 275KV and 400KV substations. Responsible for developing new Operational and Safety related procedures, document reviews and self-regulation audits. Participate in wider station and portfolio activities such as continuous improvement groups and maintaining an awareness of the external environment, new opportunities and technologies to enhance the business.
Assistant Charge Engineer
— Jul 2011
Supporting the Shift Charge Engineer to ensure the plant met the required availability, efficiency, generation and cost targets, safely and within strict environmental limits. Accomplishments during this period include:
• Accredited as Senior Authorised Person providing safety from the system on all plant such as boiler gas path, pressure parts, precipitators, turbine rotating parts, steam space, generators, LP & HP feed, HV, MV motors and switchboards.
• Managed an Operations team of 15, responsible for operation of four x 500MW Units & limestone FGD plant.
• Ensured company health, safety and environmental policies were implemented effectively through best practice, proactive hazard & near miss reporting & timely reporting of process safety related defects
Assistant Shift Manager & Shift Cover Manager
— Dec 2010
Provided flexible cover across all four shifts acting as Shift Manager, responsible for the safe and efficient day to day operation of four 500MW Units and auxiliary plant.
Accomplishments during this period include:
• Lead Station switchboard outage planner, coordinated between Operations and Maintenance sections to achieve timely plant release, permits and return to service with minimal disruption to Unit and Station activities.
• Managed a team to successfully implement a plant improvement project, focussed on the performance of the four Unit boiler and airheater sootblowing systems.
• Delivered team briefing sessions to shifts, managed training and development needs, trained engineers through to accreditation for Safety controller and HV switching authorisations.
Shift Operations Engineer
— Dec 2008
Responsible for overall operational control of the power station main control room, including all HV switching activities such as routine synchronisation of units, operational, safety and emergency switching on the 3.3KV, 11KV switchboards and 132KV & 400KV substations. The role entailed organisation of staff and work activities, management of the shift teams overtime, holiday, absence, timekeeping and training days. Accomplishments during this period include:
• Championed a predictive maintenance programme within Operations, organising training, planning regular plant data collection by utilising vibration analysis equipment on selected areas of auxiliary rotating plant. Carried out data analysis to provide the maintenance section with accurate plant fault diagnosis and organised timely release and permits to work on mal performing plant to facilitate repair.
• Implemented improved working practices for the application of the Company safety rules through reorganisation of the Designated Person isolation process.
• Created logging systems for the main control room such as Permit exceptions log, in-day traders communications log, emergency incident log and Gas turbine operational log.
— Dec 2002
Assistant Unit Operator National Power 2000 - 2000. Didcot A 2000MW Coal fired Power Station
Plant Attendant National Power 1999 -2000. Didcot A 2000MW Coal fired Power Station
Electrical Craftsman CEGB 1986 – 1999. Didcot A 2000MW Coal fired Power Station
Electrical Craftsman Apprentice CEGB 1982 - 1986