Mechanical Process Engineer
Last Updated: 19th December 2019 (over 2 years ago)
.My expertise comes from international experience in Power Generation (15yr), Oil Refining/Chemical (3yr), Petrochemical (14yr) and Shipbuilding (3yr) industries. Gained knowledge across all project phases including development, design, construction, commissioning and maintenance. Worked for companies with different business focuses: consultancies, EPC companies, asset owners and joint ventures.
- Feasibility Studies for Power Plants, Biodiesel Plants and Process Plant.
- Business Development Proposals.
- Power Plants Concept Design, Detail Design and Procurement.
- Process Plants Design Management and Procurement.
- Process Systems and Equipment Design.
- Construction Management
- Maintenance Engineering and Project Management.
- Maintenance Management.
Highly proficient in process industry disciplines: industrial thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, process equipment / systems concept and detail design. Developed investigation, research, innovative and a methodical approach to solve complex project requirements. Gained sound project management abilities in executing small, medium and large size projects associated with industrial power plants, utility power plants and process plants.
Master of Scinece in Mechanical Engineering
— Apr 1977
Lead Mechanical Engineer – Power Plant Construction Supervision at Site.
— May 2019
• Pangkala Susu 2 x 200 MW coal fire power plant with PCB boiler at Unit 3 and Unit 4, PLN Engineering, Pangkala Susu, North Sumatra, 100 KM north west of Medan. Lead Mechanical Engineer in PLNE’s Owner Engineer Team. Supervised group of 8 mechanical engineers. Conducted site inspections and weekly meeting with EPC contractor Synohydro to expedite rectification works during construction. Reviewed and approved Design Change Requests, Inspection & Test Procedures, Work Instructions and Requests for Work Commencement. Proposed site schedule improvements to keep project execution on time.
Lead Mechanical Engineer – Power Plant Construction Supervision at Site.
— Feb 2018
• Takalar 2x100 MW coal fired power plant with CFB boilers, PLN Engineering, Bankala, Sulawesi Salatan, Indonesia, 80 km south of Makassar. Lead Mechanical Engineer in PLNE’s Owner Engineer Team. Reported to Power Plant Site Manager. Supervised group of 10 mechanical engineers. Prepared Non Compliance Reports to ensure quality of installation works. Reviewed and approved Design Change Requests, Inspection & Test Procedures, Work Instructions, Requests for Work Commencement and Turn Over Packages. Chaired
Lead Mechanical Engineer- Power Plant Engineering Team
— Oct 2015
• Pagbilao 420 MW Coal Fired Power Plant (Oct 2014 – Oct. 2015 ), Pagbilao Energy Corporation , Qenzon, Philippines. Lead Mechanical Engineer. Reported to Power Plant Engineering Team Manager. Provided advisory support to project team and other teams. Reviewed design work of junior, senior and lead engineers. Prepared design review reports for sizing boiler feed pump, cooling water pump, condenser extraction pump, ID fan , condenser water box air extraction pump, light oil pump and other equipment. Reviewed P&ID’s. Completed intelligent P&ID software selection study. Provided solutions for complex technical issues. Coached less experienced engineers.
Project Engineering Manager – Power Generation Section,
— Feb 2014
• Open Cycle Power Plant 150 MW (11/2013-02/2014), Rumaila Early Power Plant, Basra, Iraq, British Petroleum. Project Engineering Manager. Reported to Segment General Manager at Athens, Greece. Lead engineering preparation works for 150 MW Power Plant with five GE F6 gas turbines for Rumaila oil field. Participated in preparation of detail Engineering Deliverables List, Engineering Design Plan for power plant and gas transport pipelines. Prepared Engineering Review Report for process systems work packages.
Senior Design / Project Engineer - Operation & Maintenance Services.
— Dec 2011
• Major maintenance projects (2011), FPSO, Woodside Energy and Alumina Refinery at Pinjarra, WA, Australia, Alcoa of Australia. Senior Design / Project Engineer. Prepared data sheets for H2S scavenger chemical injection skid and catalogued all equipment in SAP database. Prepared concept design, cost estimate and proposals for major maintenance projects: power plant ID fan motor replacement, air compressors cooling ducts, power plant gantry cranes and ceramic lined piping replacement.
Process - HRSG Commissioning Engineer- Commissioning Group
— Feb 2013
Principal Mechanical Engineer- Power Generation Engineering.
— Jan 2016
• Bottom Ash Pumps System (2010), Wallerawang Power Plant, NSW, Australia, Delta Electricity. Project Manager. Front End Engineering Design – FFED. This AU$4.2 million project involved design and cost estimate for 12 ash slurry pumps replacement with 3 vertical (9 m long) and 6 horizontal pumps, basalt lined piping, slurry valves, steel platform, electric cables and switchboards. Participated in proposal preparation, prepared process calculations, PFD and P&ID diagrams, mechanical equipment data sheets, performed supplier capability assessment and coordinated civil, electrical, instrumentation and control design.
• Victorian Desalination Plant (Sep2009-Jun2010), Melbourne, VIC, Australia, Victorian Government. Principal Mechanical Engineer. EPC contract execution. This AU$3.6 billion project (GDF Suez/ Degramont licence) involved design and construction of 150 000 m3/yr desalination plant. Lead and supervised a group of designers to prepare piping design manual and pipe supports standards for stainless steel (SS); glass reinforced plastic (GRP), Polypropylene (PP), High Density Polyethylene (HD PE) and PVC-C pipes.
• Solar Thermal Energy Storage - Solar Flagship (2009), Sydney, NSW, Australia, Australian Government. Principal Mechanical Engineer. Technology review. Evaluated and recommended technology for solar energy thermal storage for large solar thermal power plants. Assisted Thermoflow Inc to improve TERMOFLEX software with solar energy thermal storage.
• Cogeneration Power Plant at Steel Mill (2008-2009), Port Kembla, NSW, Australia, BlueScope Steel. Principal Mechanical Engineer. EPCM contract execution. This 1.3 AU$ billion project involved detail design and procurement of 240 MW and 3 x 360 t/h steam, conventional steam boiler industrial cogeneration power plant fired on steel mill gases. Reviewed and approved design work of junior and senior mechanical engineers including piping components specifications, piping list, valve list, valve data sheets, valves specifications (manual, actuated, safety and control), pressure drop calculations, HP and MP steam pressure reduction stations, boiler feed pumps, de-aerator, cooling water pumps and other equipment.
Senior Design / Project Engineer - Power Generation Engineering.
— Jun 2008
• OCGT- West Pilbara Power Plant (2008), West Pilbara, WA, Australia, ATCO Power. Senior Design- Project Engineer. EPC contract execution of 84 MW open cycle utility power plant with GE’s 2 x LM6000 gas turbines, gas fired. Reviewed plant layout, prepared process calculations, PFD & P&ID diagrams.
• OCGT- Tamar Valley Power Plant (2008), Bell Bay, TA, Australia, Alinta. Senior Design- Project Engineer. EPC contract execution of 58 MW open cycle utility power plant with Rolls Royce’s –1x Trent 60 gas turbine, gas and diesel fuel fired. Reviewed power plant equipment layout and piping general arrangement drawings. Prepared process calculations, mechanical equipment data sheets, tender documents, bid evaluation and contract documents.
• CCGT - Tamar Valley Power Plant (2007-2008), Bell Bay, TA, Australia, Alinta. Senior Design- Project Engineer. Procurement. Construction of 210 MW combined cycle power plant with MHI gas turbine, gas fired. Prepared tender documents, supplier selection, bid assessment and contract documents for cooling water paperwork, compressed air system, gas pipeline catholic protection, heat insulation, sampling house, fire water pump skid and post weld heat treatment.
• OCGT - Weddell Power Plant (2007-2008), Darwin, NT, Australia, Power and Water NT. Senior Design- Project Engineer. EPC contact execution of 84 MW open cycle utility power plant with GE’s 2 x LM 6000 gas turbines, gas fired. Reviewed power plant equipment layout and piping general arrangement drawings. Prepared process calculations, mechanical equipment data sheets, tender documents, bid evaluation, contract documents, commissioning check sheets and operation /maintenance manuals.
Senior Design / Project Engineer- Design/Procurement/ Construction - Biodiesel Group.
— Dec 2006
• Bio Diesel Plant-Riverina (2006), Deniliquin, NSW, Australia, Riverina Biofuels. Senior Design- Project Engineer. EPC contract execution. The project involved detail design and procurement of 40 000 t/y bio diesel plant as per Energea (Austria) license, operated on animal fat – Tallow. Prepared balance of plant process schematics, energy balance calculations, equipment sizing calculations, equipment data sheets, tender documents and bid evaluation. Implemented Crude Glycerin fired steam boiler.
• Bio Diesel Pant – Vita Biodiesel (2006), Gladstone, QE, Australia, Vita Biodiesel. Senior Design- Project Engineer. Feasibility study. Biodiesel plant 100 000 t/y, Balestra (Italy) license, operated on palm oil and canola oil. Prepared capital cost estimate.
• Bio Diesel Project 1 500 000 t/y - Indonesia (2006), Indonesia (PERTAMINA’s refineries at Sumatra, Java and Borneo-7 locations), SA, Australia, Nullarbor Holdings. Senior Design-Project Engineer. Project valuation for bank finance approval. Seven biodiesel plants as per Lugri (Germany) license operated on palm oil. Prepared project valuation for bank finance approval of US$ 470 million. Prepared capital cost estimates, operation cost estimates and financial analyses to check project value and advice bank to approve finances.
Senior Design / Project Engineer - Design /Procurement office - Industrial Power Plants
— May 2006
• CCGT - Industrial Power Plant at NPC (2005), Thailand, National Petrochemical Corporation. Senior Design- Project Engineer. EPC contract execution of 80 MW combined cycle power plant by upgrading existing open cycle power plant. Prepared equipment data sheets.
• CCGT- Industrial Power Plant at Shell’s Refinery (2005), Thailand, Thai Oil. Senior Design- Project Engineer. EPC contract execution of 80 MW combined cycle power plant by upgrading existing open cycle power plant. Prepared technical specifications and pressure parts stress calculations for Heat Recovery Steam Generator as per ASME 1 2005 code to get ASME stamp certification.
• Conventional Steam Boiler Power Plant at Nickel Refinery (2004-2005), Revansthorpe, WA, BHP Billiton. Senior Design- Project Engineer. EPC contract execution of 48MW (AU$87Million) industrial power plant operating on steam from acid plant and steam from three (3) diesel oil fired boilers. Prepared equipment data sheets, tender documents, bid evaluation and contact documentation. Implemented HATCH standards and BHP Billiton’s nickel refinery specific requirements.
Project Manager- Engineering/Procurement/ Construction.
— Aug 2004
• Bottom Ash Slurry Pipelines and Pumps Installation (2002-2004), Liddell Power Plant, Mac Quire Generation. Project Manager. EPC contract execution of AU$7 million ash slurry pumping systems comprising of 2 x 3 km basalt lined pipelines and six (2 x 3) slurry pumps. Supervised design, procurement, construction and commissioning of mechanical, electrical and instrumentation works.
Senior Development Engineer - Commercial Development Services
— Jul 2002
• Re-powering Bell Bay to 400 MWe (2002), Bell Bay, TA, Australia, Hydro Tasmania. Senior project development engineer. Feasibility study to repower 2x120 MWe conventional steam boiler utility power plant, heavy fuel oil / gas fired, by adding gas turbine and steam block to increase capacity to 400 MWe. Prepared concept design, capital cost, operation and maintenance cost and financial analyses. Operated Thermoflow Inc comprehensive set of software for power plant design: GT PRO, GT MASTER, STEAM PRO, STEAM MASTER, RE- MASTER, TERMOFLEX and PEACE.
• Conventional Steam Boiler Power Plant-Loy Young (2002), Latrobe Valley, VI, Australia. Senior Project development engineer. Due diligence study for acquisition of 2200MWe power plant, lignite coal fired. Participated in preparation of comprehensive due diligence report.
• CCGT Cogeneration Power Plant- Shoalhaven (2001), Shoalhaven, NSW, Australia. Paparlinx. Senior project development engineer. Feasibility study for 20 MWe and 60 t/h steam industrial combined cycle cogeneration power plant, gas fired. Prepared concept design, capital cost, operation and maintenance cost and financial analyses by operating GT PRO and GT MASTER software.
• OCGT Power Plant – Port Headland (2001), Port Headland, WA, Australia, Duke Energy Internetional. Senior project development engineer. Feasibility study for inlet air-cooling addition to existing 175 MWe open cycle power plant. Prepared concept design, capital cost, operation cost, maintenance cost and financial analyses by operating GT PRO and GT MASTER software.
Project Manager - Engineering Department.
— Jun 2001
• Optimax Fuel Production (2000-2001), Sydney, NSW, Australia, Shell Refining (Australia). Project Manager. Major maintenance. Clyde Refinery, 16 000 m3/ day, made decision to produce new, lead free fuel “Optimax”. The existing refinery needed substantial re-construction, new pump, piping and flow control system. Supervised design, procurement, construction and commissioning. Covered mechanical discipline. Coordinated work of process engineer, electrical engineer, instrument engineer, draftsmen, document controller, procurement officer, cost estimator, accountant and site contractors.
• Air Compressor Installation (2000-2001), Sydney, NSW, Australia, Shell Refining (Australia). Project Manager. Major maintenance. Due to co-current failure of all air compressors, refinery hires 5 mobile air compressors driven by diesel engines. Such temporary solution was expensive, $ 240 000 per month. Decision was made to install new stationary 500 kW electric motor driven compressor, as soon as possible. Lead and supervised design, procurement, demolishing, construction, installation and commissioning of new rotary screw compressor in 5 weeks. Total project cost was $ 350 000. The compressor was successfully commissioned and the client was happy to terminate the 5 mobile compressors it hired.
• Pumps and Steam Piping Installation (2000-2001), Sydney, NSW, Australia, Shell Refining (Australia). Project Manager. Major maintenance. The company experienced an explosion and fire hazards caused by liquid plug flow in piping from flare vessel to flare. The decision was made to upgrade safety at Clyde Refinery to install 5 additional pumps, 4 steam heaters in flare vessels and improve liquid level control. Coordinated and supervised detail design, procurement, construction, commissioning of civil, mechanical and electrical / instrumentation works.
Project Engineer - Engineering Department.
— Mar 2000
• Air Separation Plant at BP Refinery (1999-2000), Brisbane, QV, Australia, BOC Gases. Project Engineer. EPC contract execution. The project involved detail design and procurement of 600 t/day, AU$ 100 million air separation plant for production of cryogenic gases: liquid oxygen, nitrogen and argon. Prepared technical specifications, tender documents, bid assessment, negotiation with numerous vendors to supply: piping materials, valves, heat exchangers, process vessels, ambient vaporizers, back-up water bath vaporizers, filters, pumps, argon purification skid, regeneration heater and cryogenic heat insulation. Prepared piping line list, valve list and piping specials list. Implemented numerous change notes and coordinated approval of vendor’s documentation for construction. Worked closely the with, Engineering Manger, Procurement Manger, CAD draft-men, Document Controller and Chief Mechanical, Civil, Electrical and Instrument engineers.
Project Engineer- Projects Department.
— Apr 1998
• Thermodynamic Performance Software (1996-1998), New Plymouth Power Station, NZ, Contact Energy. Engineer Generation Services. Major maintenance. New Plymouth Power Station has a built in software for performance monitoring that was not delivering the amount and quality of information suitable for decision making. Prepared feasibility study to justify new software installation.
• Vibration Consultancy Services (1996-1998), New Plymouth Power Station, NZ, Contact Energy. Engineer Generation Services. Major maintenance. The company maintance engineers had difficulties in understanding vibration data from main and auxiliary machinery. A decision was made to contract out Vibration Constancy Services for all Contact Energy Ltd power plants. Prepared quality requirements for main and auxiliary machinery: low speed balancing, vibration assessment and trim balancing, condition monitoring and troubleshooting. Prepared tender documents, bid assessment, contract negotiation and final contract documentation. Coordinated the consultant’s engagement though Production Engineers for the Thermal Group.
• High Pressure Feed Water Heaters Division Plates Damage Repair (1996-1998), New Plymouth Power Station, NZ, Contact Energy. Engineer Generation Services. Major maintenance. Heaters showed final feed water temperature 20 deg C below the design. Designed a software for automatic assessment of heater performances, performed numerous analyses on 15 the heaters and discovered a hidden defects: water box division plates damage. Guided contractors to make high quality repair design, after three consultancy companies declined to bid on repair design.
• Otahuhu Power Station Chimney Base Repair (1995-1996), Auckland, NZ, Electricity Corporation of New Zealand. Project Engineer. Major maintenance. Otahuhu OCGT gas turbine power station has four 50 m high chimneys badly attacked by corrosion hidden under heat insulation. The repair involved chimney shell metal replacement over entire perimeter. It was a challenge to keep 50 m high (5 m diameter) chimney in vertical position during repair. Prepared tender documents, bid assessment, contract documents, contractor supervision and progress payment approval.
• Steam Turbine Seals Replacement (1995-1996), New Plymouth Power Station, New Plymouth, NZ, Electricity Corporation of New Zealand. Project Engineer. Major maintenance. Unit 5 High Pressure turbine cylinders were damaged by accident and lost 5% efficiency. Project involved steam passage seals replacement. Prepared vendor qualification assessment, tender documents, bid evaluation and contract to engage GEC Alstom from UK. Organised spare parts. Designed and supervised manufacturing of special boring bar bearings. The turbine performance improved by 3%, resulting in $US 200 000 / year savings.
Senior Project Engineer ; Maintanance Manager
— Sep 1994
• Fine Chemicals Plants (1992-1994), Kastel Sucurac, Croatia, INA Vinil. Senior Research & Development Engineer. Feasibilities studies. Prepared concept design, capital cost estimates and financial analysis for: suspension PVC resin plant 50 000 t/y relocation US $ 17 million; emulsion PVC resin plant 25 000 t/y modification to Suspension PVC resin plant US $ 4 million and production of 50 000 kg /yr initiators for suspension vinyl chloride polymerization US$ 0.5 million.
• Maintenance Projects (1989-1992), Kastel Sucurac, Croatia, INAvinil. Maintenance Manager. Major maintenance. Coordinated work of Mechanical, Electrical and Civil maintenance engineers who serviced 3 petrochemical plants for PVC production and one coal fired electricity / steam generation plant. Managed people, time, spare parts and money to ensure safe, continuous and trouble free production.
• Old PVC Plant Reconstruction (1985-1989), Kastel Sucurac, Croatia, INAvinil. Senior Project Engineer. EPC contract execution. The project involved improvements, reconstruction and commissioning of old suspension PVC resin plant, capacity 15 000 t /year to improve product quality, production economy, safety and to fulfil environmental protection standards. Designed and supervised procurement and construction of: piping, vacuum pumps systems, slurry stripping, reactor discharging system and reactors cleaning system.
• Turbo Compressors Shaft and Gear Teeth Fractures (1985-1989), Kastel Sucurac, Croatia, INAvinil. Senior Project Engineer. Major maintenance. The company suffered frequent shut downs and expenditure on four turbo-compressors shaft and gear teeth fractures. Managed consultant to investigate root cause of fractures. Lead a team of 10 company maintenance engineers and 5 turbo compressor manufacture service engineers to repair the machines with hidden defects. Negotiated repair works contract. Supervised compressors repair and commissioning at Ingersoll Rand’s production factory at Milan Italy.
• Loss of Production in Suspension PVC plant (1985-1989), Kastel Sucurac, Croatia, INAvinil. Senior Project Engineer. Major maintenance. During the summer periods the company experienced a loss of cooling and production capacity in 3 process chemical reactors, each with a volume of 64 m3. Performed an investigation by calculating overall heat transfer coefficients in the jacket and the baffles and discovered rust inside the annular flow channels (5 mm gap) in the cooling baffles, which were not visible to the human eye. Advised to apply chemical cleaning to remove the rust that caused the problem.
• Suspension PVC Resin Plant (1980-1985), Kastel Sucurac, Croatia, INAvinil. EPC contract execution. Project Engineer. EPC contract execution. The project involved the construction, commissioning and improvements of new suspension PVC resin plant 50 000 t / year, US$ 100 million completely computerised, licensed by B.F.GOODRICH from USA and engineered by SIM - CHEM from U. K. Prepared tender documents for consultants and EPC contractors works, performed contractors capability assessment and bids assessment. Performed English language interpreter roll for communication with SIM-CHEM’s site engineers who supervised plant construction. Supervised construction of: piping, vessels, shell & tube heat exchangers and process plant rotary equipment. Initiated, designed and supervised construction of centrifuge wastewater heat recovery system, which saved 1 MW steam power consumption.
Mechanical Process Design Engineer - Engineering Department - Machinery Section.
— Jul 1980
• 39782 DWT Chemical Carriers - 4 off (1977-1980), Split, Croatia, Arne Blystad-Oslo-Norway. Mechanical Process Design Engineer. EPC contract execution. The project involved design, construction and commissioning of four sea going chemical tankers for liquid products transport including crude oil. Designed standard ship piping diagrams and piping material specifications for seawater, fresh water, lubrication oil, steam, cargo liquids transport, freon, fuel oil and other systems. Performed heat transfer calculations, material selection and material strength calculations for sizing liquid-liquid shell and tube heat exchangers. Initiated and developed design procedure for “Heat transfer calculation for sizing oil and chemical tanker cargo holds heating coils system”.