Financial Director / Manager / Consultant
Last Updated: 16th December 2017 (over 4 years ago)
Key positions -
FD with international engineering / construction / project managers. 1982 to 1995
Divisional FM with blue chip FMCG group listed on JSE. 1998 to 2001.
FD - Mozambique National Mobile Network Operator. 2001 to 2007
Regional FM for Mozambique division of JSE listed Construction Group. 2007 to 2011.
— Dec 2014
— May 1984
Interim Financial Manager
— Sep 2015
— Feb 2014
— Jul 2012
— Nov 2011
— Feb 2011
Responsible for all financial aspects of division management – reports to local MD. Prepares annual budget as well as monthly and annual financial statements. Reviews all contract costs and revenues monthly as basis for monthly financial reports. Monitors and controls cash resources and debtors collection. Ensures accounting deadlines met. Daily liaison with contract managers on all financial and administration matters. Financial presentations at monthly management meeting. 10 Staff.
• Advanced the financial reporting deadline one month by improving work processes and procedures.
• Devised and set-up Excel system for tracking and control of purchase orders in the absence of ERP.
— Aug 2007
Contract position. Contribute to financial strategy, development of business plans, capital finance project proposals. Board presentations. Upgrade of computer ERP systems and financial reporting.
Improve procedures and internal control. Promote and facilitate training and development of personnel. Also responsible for HR and General Administration. 35 Staff.
• Implement Accpac Enterprise Accounting ERP package and add-on modules.
• Design financial models to supplement accounting system.
• Develop budget process and business plan models.
• Introduce staff training programs, develop manuals and evaluation / feedback system.
• Negotiate lines of credit for Network Equipment expansion programme.
• Evaluation of new products and services.
• Set policy and procedures to maximise working capital and control risk.
• Ongoing informal support for strategy in all departments.
Division Financial Manager
— Aug 2001
Financial and cost accounting, budgeting, capital projects, internal and risk management audits. Continual review of operational, financial and IT procedures. Support for manufacturing, supply chain and regional sales divisions. Strategic planning and change management. Board presentations. Supervision of 20 staff.
• Refine format and content of financial reports to communicate more meaningful information.
• Take on accounting responsibilities of other regions in order to rationalise financial function.
• Planning, configuration, training and driving conversion to MS Office and Oracle Manufacturing.
• Financial analysis using Oracle data warehouse cube. Maintain standard costs. Variance reports.
• Continuous improvement to control of US$50m inventory through the supply chain.
• Control of US$30m foreign exchange portfolio.
— Nov 1997
Financial management and reporting results of USA processing and distribution subsidiary. Design and implementation of costing systems, consultation on operations management. Ad hoc accounting, year-end work, restructuring and costing assignments for other group companies.
• Conduct detailed analysis of the processing and sales divisions leading to the downsizing of some group operations, reappraisal of sales strategy and the start of a re-engineering program.
• Negotiate settlement with Washington State Department of Labour in respect of an ongoing audit and investigation into prior year payroll administration.
Accountant / Financial Director
— Jul 1995
Full accountability for corporate and project finance and administration, accounting, budgeting, MIS, credit, treasury, payroll, tax, export incentives, lease negotiations and import/export letters of credit. Participate in preparation of tenders, feasibility studies and project contracts. Deputised operations management. Regular travel to project sites to monitor costing, present progress reports and liaise with clients and subcontractors.
• Initiate and direct installation of fully integrated Chameleon Manufacturing accounting system.
• Design and write detailed project costing program to improve reporting on major projects.
• Routinely anticipate and negotiate facilities and finance for critical liquidity requirements.
• Maintain close working relationship with contract and divisional managers to improve information flow, financial control and profitability of projects.
• Financial management of projects up to US$50m.