Environmental Engineer / Specialist
Last Updated: 22nd May 2018 (over 4 years ago)
Expertise in Environmental Monitoring, Hospital Waste Management, Solid Waste Management, Marine Biological Sampling, Ambient Air Quality Management, Environmental & Social, Health Impact Assessment, Waste Water, Natural Resources Management, Rapid Environmental Assessment, Environmental Risk Assessment, Environmental Life Cycle Assessment, Industry Survey, Natural Damage Assessment, Research & Investigation for Environmental Damages, Project Management, and Oil Spill Management.
Certified ISO 14001 and 18001 (OHSAS) Internal Auditor
Extensive experience and expertise in developing training modules for environmental training programmes.
An innovative and diligent team leader possessing highly evolved and demonstrable communication, interpersonal, coordination and time management skills; with strong analytical mind-set to learn quickly and high confidence to draw estimation & take up new challenges.
MS Environmental Management
— Oct 2006
BSc Civil Engineering
— Sep 1993
Environmental Specialist / Manager
— Nov 2014
• Provided timely advice to the management and the project team on environmental issues;
• Conducted Environmental Impact Assessment of Construction Activities;
• Implemented Project Environmental Monitoring programme during Offshore and Onshore construction activities;
• Implemented Environmental Management Plan and ensured compliance;
• Successfully communicated with the general public and sub-contractors regarding waste management and accurate recycling;
• Provided guidance and advice to business and construction waste sites on waste management issues at onshore;
• Prepared Waste Management Plans & Hospital Waste Management and implemented at construction sites onshore and offshore;
• Consulted with community groups, residents, sub-contractors, and stakeholders on waste management issues;
• Provided leadership on comprehensive environmental waste management compliance program;
• Managed and modified systems of environmental monitoring and reporting;
• Prepared Environmental Risk Assessment & Risk Management;
• Conducted impact assessments and devised risk management strategies;
• Liaised with regulatory bodies in regards to environmental issues;
• Identified and implemented critical environmental corrective actions and recognised opportunities for improvement;
• Ensured adherence to HSE and OHS principles at all times;
• Conducted Marine biological sampling surveys & samples management during offshore pipe lay and construction;
• Established Sustainability Cell;
• Prepared Risk Assessment and Mitigation plans prior all activities in projects;
• Managed Stakeholder Engagement during project activities on regular basis;
• Conducted Social Impact Assessment & Monitoring;
• Conducted OHS Management Systems Audits & OHSAS 18001 advice;
• Conducted Environmental Management System Audits & secured ISO 14001.
— Feb 2012
• To develop and maintain management information systems that used for identification of the location of hazardous materials;
• Responsible to give employee training programs related to environmental issues;
• Provides leadership on comprehensive environmental waste management compliance program;
• Perform investigations on employee complaints on exposure to air pollutants and hazardous materials;
• Maintaining records of chemical inventories and shipments of hazardous wastes;
• Collect samples and perform tests of hazardous and industrial waste suspected of containing asbestos;
• To conduct research to verify the sources of pollution and prepare report of the same;
• Responsible to assist the proponents to develop plans and eliminate pollution and risk;
• To conduct the research on ecological environment and natural sciences;
• Collect samples of air, water and soil to prepare reports on environmental conditions;
• To plan, manage and review the projects, environmental clean-up activities and compliance of Environment, Safety and Health (ESH).
• Stack emissions monitoring of power plants & cement industries and report writing
• Handle management of environmental restoration planning and implementation;
• Assist proponents in regular ambient air quality and stack emissions monitoring.
— Mar 2011
• Support the GOI in developing indicators that will help in the preparation of environmental reviews on the status of the environment in Iraq.
• Liaise with UNEP to ensure that these indicators feed into the State of the Environment report planned to be published in 2011.
• Analysis of present environmental aspects of oil refineries and pipelines in respect to social and habitat issues in and around Baghdad, Arbil and Basra (Iraq).
• Work closely with GIS staff to prepare analysis on key environmental indicators. Ensure that this analysis is incorporated into presentations, reports such as the UNDAF review and advocacy products.
• Research and analysis on environment management (in collaboration with the Ministry of Science & Technology)
• Identify partners working in the field of environmental research in Iraq and map their activities.
• Conduct and/or propose research activities on critical issues related to the sustainable management of Iraq's natural resources (e.g. land, water, forest) and the impact of economic activities, particularly in the fields of oil and energy, on environmental health.
• Prepare regular policy briefs to alert decision-makers within the GOI and UN to key environment issues in Iraq.
• Provide technical leadership to the UNAMI on environmental issues.
— Dec 2010
To carry out Environmental Impact Assessments of reconstruction and rehabilitation projects;
Liaise with state and federal authorities regulating waste management;
Runs and inspects waste disposal sites and recycling facilities;
Implementation of Environmental Management Plan’s of on-going major roads, rural & urban housing, schools, hospitals and other projects;
On the job training, capacity building, institutional development, workshops for EPA, line agencies and municipal authorities;
Procedures for projects review and approval of projects requiring EIA, including urban development projects;
Assist evaluation of impacts, mitigation measures & monitoring reporting;
Review and integrate all available data on environmental damages to prepare projects and to produce firm estimates for use in planning, budgeting and implementation phasing;
Provide Technical assistance in different departments at ERRA in respect of sustainable environmental approach in development and rehabilitation;
Develop a comprehensive plan for the rehabilitation of environmental damages on long-term basis;
Accountably identify & assess the issues observed necessary for sustainable use for revival of natural resources like water, forestry and wildlife;
Devise policy for sustainable use of timber in the affected areas to ensure green construction;
Develop a planning, management, coordination, implementation and monitoring mechanism for the component and activities therein, with due regard to overall ERRA management and implementation approach and in close consultation with the provincial/state and district governments and intended beneficiaries;
Regularly coordinate all activities identified under the implementation strategy and monitor their implementation;
Identify technical assistance/capacity building needs at all levels of implementing agencies;
Project Environmental Life Cycle Assessment.
Deputy Director Monitoring
— Aug 2006
Procedures for environmental improvement plans for existing industries with emphasis on waste water treatment, solid waste management & compliance with national quality standards;
Handles tasks of providing training and development guidance manuals associated with waste management;
Responsible for developing and maintaining comprehensive waste profiles with disposal and treatment facilities;
Natural resources management, Air, wastewater, land, noise, waste management etc issues handling in province;
Compliance environmental monitoring of oil & gas exploration / drilling, power plants, textile, cement and other industries;
Review of EIA submissions from private & public sectors, including urban development road and transport projects, solid waste disposal, sewerage plants, oil & gas, cement manufacture, thermal & hydro-power projects;
Procedures for Environmental Improvement Plans to bring existing industry into compliance with emission quality standards and good environmental practice;
Implementation of Environmental Management Plans of Oil & Gas, Roads, Power, Textile, Construction, Health, Solid Waste, etc.
Promote provincial and national level cooperation between environmental agencies;
Provide guidance to mega industries on environmental compliance and training;
Coordinate with Ministry of Environment in respect of implementation of multilateral environmental conventions and preparation of draft policies.