Last Updated: 1st March 2019 (over 3 years ago)
SAMTRAC - IOSH, IIRSM
— Apr 2014
3 year National Diploma in Safety Management
— Jun 1985
- Industrial Accident Prevention 1, 2 & 3
- Legislation 1 & 2
- Mines and Works Act
- Factory, Machinery and Building Works Act (OHS Act)
- Management Principles and Practice 1
- Occupational Hygiene
- Industrial Security and Emergency Planning
- Statistical Methods
- Fire Prevention T1
Main Project Features: (FMCG) Yeast Propagation and Beer Recovery Project.
Construction/installation of an intricate system of stainless steel pipelines, multiple skids consisting of filters, flow-meters, pumps, heat exchangers and VSD’s, for the beer recovery system from waste yeast that has a cost saving of millions of rands per year.
• Successful implementation of AB In-Bev Contractor and Service Provider Safety Management System to achieve project objectives and goals.
• Ensure Contractor compliance to Clients NOSCAR, ISO14001 and OSHAS 18001 certification.
• Draft and maintain base-line risk assessment for the project.
• Conduct monthly compliance HSE Audits on all Principal Contractors.
• Ensure Daily Risk Assessments – STARRT (Safety Task Analysis Risk Reduction Technique) is carried out prior to commencement of work as stipulated in the Health, Safety and Environmental Management Plan.
• Ensure contractor compliance to AB In-Bev “permit to work” procedure during construction work in a Green fields/Brown fields environment.
• Manage multinational contractor’s safety performance and non-compliance on a daily basis.
• Provide on-going mentor-ship, coach, train and develop all levels of employees.
• Provide insight for Construction Management to understand the environmental aspects and impacts of which various construction processes have on the environment and how to mitigate and control those processes.
• Provide Operation oversight to the company, including risk assessments and advice on hazards controls compliance, conclude recommendations and coordinate the formulation, development and implementation of the annual HSE action plan.
• Identify safety and environmental needs, organised and co-ordinate safety and environmental training courses and prepare, update and/or improve training material when required.
• Attend daily/weekly safety and environmental meetings within the company.
• Monitor and co-ordinate Waste Management and waste segregation to the Clients waste reclamation site.
• Liaise with on-site service providers and contractors to ensure compliance with safety and environmental regulations and adherence to safety and environmental standards, including induction training.
• Co-ordinate emergency procedures & fire drills.
•ISO 14001 – Environmental Management Systems.
•OHSAS 18001 – Safety Management Systems.
•Construction HSE – Safety Management Systems.
•HSE Compliance Auditing and Training.
•Health, Safety and Environmental Impact Risk Assessments.
•HSE Legal Compliance.
•Compilation of HSE files.
— Jan 2013
•The scope of construction work entailed the construction of 200M/l and 400M/l per day Sedimentation Dams, Flocculation Tanks and associated Dosing Plants including the construction of two new Desludging Bridges. The construction of a 250 M/l per day Filter House, Sludge Emergency overflows Dams, new VSD and MCC Rooms, and the infrastructure work for the new Pump Station 5.
•Implement and maintain Rand Water's Strategic Asset Management SHEQ System to achieve compliance and ensure awareness with Statutory and Project SHEQ objectives and goals.
•Provide Operational SHEQ expertise advisory support to Line Management on SHEQMS implementation including Contractors Management, Performance Management, Incident Management and Operations Management of Change.
•Use specialist knowledge part of the SHEQ Operations pool of excellence supporting the Company technical authority for all occupational Safety Standards and Procedures.
•Provide required expertise to support compliance assurance through the audit function.
•Promote SHEQ awareness and safe working practices by all Company and contractors personnel, in particular the Company Golden Rules of Safety. Ensure constant focus on all construction related fatal risk protocols.
Develop SHEQ pre-qualification standards for Contractors and Suppliers and provide advisory support in the implementation.
•Review and manage the various dispensation requests for all the operational and project requirements. Develop and maintain the necessary control mechanisms in line with the SHEQ Management System through the Dispensation procedure.
•Provide Operation oversight to the company, including risk assessments and advice on hazards controls compliance, conclude recommendations and coordinate the formulation, development and implementation of the annual SHEQ action plan.
•Contribute to the development of company’s SHEQ Risk Register.
•Plan, direct and supervise SHEQ functions and activities by guiding Contractor Safety Officers and Supervision to ensure the safe execution of all construction work.
•Draft and complete SHEQ specifications based on method statements done by Client Project Managers for all projects.
•Approve all Contractors Method statements and risk assessments prior to commencement of work. Monitor and review risk assessments and specific HSE requirements on an on-going basis.
•Attend weekly progress meetings and report on SHEQ issues, findings or concerns. Represent the SHEQ department at all management meetings either internally or externally.
•Compile and submit the weekly consolidated SHEQ report to the HQ SHEQ Department, for reporting purposes.
•Conduct weekly SHEQ Inductions for Contractors on behalf of the Client.
•Undertake monthly compliance audits and weekly HSE audit assessments on all Principal Contractors and Sub-contractors.
•Conduct incident investigation, determine the "root causes" and promote safety awareness, lessons learnt and accident prevention measures to secure a safe working environment.
•Ensure Contractor compliance to Rand Water’s ISO 9000, ISO 14 001 and OSHAS 18 001 certification.
•Conduct training programs to improve the site safety performance.
•Acts as administrative liaison for all HSE regulatory agency inspections or visits