Sales and Marketing Manager
Last Updated: 28th April 2018 (over 4 years ago)
My career in sales has been successful and some of my achievements are as follows:
Leading a sales team to more than double their sales in less than 12 months.
Receiving the accolade of salesman of the year on more than one occasion.
I have an open-door, hands-on management style, believe in the use of CRM systems and enjoy sharing my knowledge and experience with others.
What can I bring to the table?
Team Player who is able to work independently when required
History of achieving and exceeding targets
Ability to adapt to different environments and industries
Ability to deal with all levels of seniority
A passion for sharing my knowledge and experience with others
— Nov 2013
Spin Selling Skills - 2013
Air Quality Analysis
— Sep 1993
— Nov 1986
Blasting Certificate for Scheduled Mines
— Nov 1986
High School - Matric
— Nov 1980
Sole Proprietor & Business Owner
o Residential and commercial security including Electric Fencing, CCTV, Alarm Systems, Armed Response and Guarding for Systems Control Integration
o Surveying & mapping including aerial mapping
o Steel construction
• Supply and installation of fencing systems to residential and commercial customers.
Technical Sales & Marketing Manager
— Jul 2015
VGN supplies Compressed Natural Gas through a Virtual Pipeline to customers utilizing equipment such as boilers, ovens, furnaces and driers. This includes the sales and rental of Pressure Regulating Plants, Dispensers and associated equipment as well as the investigation into the, development, sourcing and supply of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) terminals and regasification plants in South Africa.
• Sales and marketing management.
• Management of Sales Team.
• Implementation of sales processes and CRM System.
• Liaising with media.
• Identification of new markets.
• Liaising with the project team with regards to installations of systems and gas supply.
• Training of Sales Staff
• Service Level Agreements
• Gas Supply Agreements
• Equipment Rental Agreements
• Negotiated and closed the biggest deal in the company’s history less than 4 months after joining the company, this is a 5 year contract with a value of approximately
R 1 500 000 per month.
• Led the sales team to more than double sales in less than 12 months.
— Feb 2014
Global Geomatics was a firm offering a full range of services in the fields of Surveying, 3D Laser Scanning, Mapping, GIS and Underground Services Detection.
• Increasing the company’s footprint on the African Continent with a focus on South and East Africa, this included both local and regional travel to African countries in order to liaise with clients, potential clients and agents.
• Business development.
• Identification of new markets.
• Project Management.
— Jan 2013
• Product testing, quality control and logistics for Mechanized Agriculture Consultants LLC, Georgia, USA.
• Research, Media Sales and Project Management for television.
Area Manager/Sales Consultant
— Sep 2011
CLM Positioning Solutions were the distributors for Trimble Construction products including precision Telematics Systems, GPS, Surveying Equipment, 2D and 3D Machine Control Systems, Spectra Precision Laser Systems and various Trimble software solutions.
I was originally appointed as Area Manager for the Northern Regions of South Africa but, due to a restructuring that took place in mid-2010 where all of the middle management positions where made redundant, I was forced to move into the position of Sales Consultant Construction.
• I joined this new company approximately 6 months after they started trading and was tasked with developing the Heavy and Highway (i.e. roads and earthworks) and Construction Instrument portfolios in the Northern areas of South Africa, Botswana, Zambia and Lesotho.
• Asset Management (Telematics) Systems in South Africa
• I looked after the Mining Portfolio until a suitable candidate could be found to manage the industry
• While focusing on Heavy and Highway systems I built the Construction Instrument portfolio in the Gauteng Province to a point where we needed to employ a Sales Consultant to concentrate entirely on these instruments in the area.
• This then enabled me to concentrate on expanding the GPS, Machine Control and Asset Management (Telematics) System markets in the northern parts of the country.
• I was tasked with integrating the Telematics System with a Third Party Fuel Management System in 2008 which was completed.
• As Area Manager, I managed the Build, Construct and Mine Survey Consultant.
• Managed key accounts
• Training and demonstration
• Assisted in maintaining stock at acceptable levels
• All of my sales functions were managed using CRM packages
Exceeded the annual target for Asset Management (Tracking & Telematics) Systems in the first 4 months of 2008
Achieved my 2008 target within the first 8 months of the year
Received Salesman of the Year award in 2008 and 2009 and assisted one of the other Area Managers with large transactions which resulted in him receiving the award in 2010
Had a lot to do with the company’s astronomical growth in 2008
Sold more 3D Machine Control Systems in 2008 than had been sold in the history of Machine Control in South Africa.
The company received a Trimble award for the sales of the Telematics systems for the EMEA area in 2010, I was the only person in the company to have had any involvement in the sales of these systems in South Africa meaning that this award was entirely due to my efforts
Sold the first Trimble 3D systems for Mine Rehabilitation in South Africa in 2011
— Jun 2006
The company manufactures laser products for various industries including mining, timber, iron & steel, vehicle tyre manufacturing and sewing as well as being the South Africa Agents for Leica Laser Systems, Leica 2D Machine Control Systems and Pentax Surveying Instruments which are mainly sold into the mining, construction and earthworks industries.
• Answerable to the Managing Director.
• Managing the Sales Team and ensuring that targets are met.
• Key account management.
• Business Development.
• Ensuring that stock levels are maintained including identifying the needs of customers and therefore the timely ordering of stock from both local and international suppliers.
• Regular liaison with procurement, stores and production departments of Mining Companies in order to ensure that our manufacturing and repair process is able to always be in line with customer requirements.
• Identifying the needs of customers in various industries, research in order to ascertain whether other customers have the same needs and then communicating these needs with the manufacturing department.
• Following through from concept to manufacture, QC and supply.
• Marketing and Advertising.
• Liaising with our principals in various countries around the world.
• Sales of our products on the international market including, among others, oil companies in Nigeria and Angola and mining and construction companies on the African continent.
• Introduced the company’s in-house training program.
• Introduced CRM systems for the efficient management of the sales process.
Achieved the highest turnover in the company’s history in October 2004
Made a decision to target the construction/civil engineering industries with laser products and increased the sales of these products by approximately 36% in my first year as Sales Manager
— Aug 2000
• Sales of instruments and equipment for surveying, measuring, leveling and direction to the civil engineering, construction, mining and various other industries.
• Includes the sales of products for the manual and automatic control of light and heavy machinery
• Looking after certain key accounts such as Sasol.
• Includes agents that I have introduced to the company and negotiated contracts with
• I am required to travel overseas from time to time in order to liaise with our principals and attend international sales conferences and meetings
• I have been called upon to interview potential employees
• I am often required to advise and assist our directors on advertising, management and technical issues. This has included the development of products that received SABS Design Institute Awards.
• I was responsible for the analysis and marketing potential of certain European technical software (CAD, survey, civil engineering) for possible sale/service on the Southern African market.
I more than doubled our sales of mining products to the underground coal mines in Mpumalanga within 6 months of taking over the area
Negotiated with one of the major oil companies in Nigeria to standardize on Pentax Surveying Instruments
Initiated the company’s in-house training program
Reason for leaving: Promoted to Sales Manager
— Nov 1996
• I was required to liaise with existing and potential customers
• Managed the company in the absence of the managing director
— Feb 1995
• I was responsible for the computerization of the survey office
• I used to act as Mine Environmental Control Officer in the absence of such person
— Jun 1991
• I was seconded to the groups diamond mines in the Northern Cape on a quarterly basis to bring the surveying requirements up to date
• I used to act as Chief Surveyor in the absence of such person
Surveyor & Environmental Control Officer
— Apr 1988
• Environmental control
• I was seconded to the Eersteling Gold Mine from time to time to assist with the mine survey and to fulfill the environmental control requirements. This included the sinking of a new vertical shaft.