Senior Contracts Manager Mining
Last Updated: 6th June 2018 (over 4 years ago)
• 5 Years’ experience of Hard rock mining for AEL – Potgietersrus Platinum Ltd.
• Duties and Responsibilities:
• Staff of 12 blasting assistants under my management.
• 2 MMU’s (Multi Manufacturing Units) which pumped 1200 tons of explosives on average per month under my direct supervision.
• 4 Sub-Drilling companies in quantity of 20 drills under my supervision.
• Designing, Marking, Drilling, Charging & Blasting of all blast patterns.
• Inclusive Blast Reports & Administration thereof.
• Customer Relations & Enquiries.
Opencast Production & Project Management Experience
• 10 Years’ experience of Coal Mining and Hard rock (platinum, diamond and gold) as a Sub-Ordinate Mine Manager (2.6.1. Appointee) & Contracts Manager
• Duties and Responsibilities:
• Managing a Staff of >700 crew.
• Mine and Operation Planning
• Managing the daily production and operations of the opencast mine.
• All daily administrative duties
• Mine and production planning,
• Controlling machine excavations, blasting, drilling, and safety.
Overall project management that includes:
• Project feasibility
• Risk analyses
• Budget forecasts
• Project cost analyses
• Insuring compliance to conditions of contracts
• Mentoring and coaching of all designated site managers
• Monthly profit and loss reporting to board
• Client negotiations
• Estimating and tendering
Extensive knowledge of the Management and controlling of all the following machines
• Drills – DM 30 / DM 45, Pantera 1200- 1500, DK 25, Pit Vipers, Vurukava, Atlas Copco T45 / T50 etc.
• Explosives trucks – (MMU’s, AEL, BME, Sasol)
• Excavators – Liebherr 974, 984, 9250, 9350, 9400
ZX 400, 470, 670, 850, 870, 1200
PC 200, 220, 1250,
• Loaders CAT – 992, 993, 966, etc
• Face Shovel – Terex (O&K) 200, 345 / Demag 200
• Dozers – CAT - D6, D7, D8, D9, D10, D11
KOMATSU 375, 475
• Dumpers - Rigid - Hitachi 750, 850, 1700
- Terex TR 60, TR 100
- CAT 773, 777,785, 789, Etc.
ADT - Volvo A35, 40, 45
- Bell A35, 40, 45
Civil Blasting Projects & Experience
• Letsebogo Dam (Botswana) Earth moving and blasting
Botswana Government for Energy Explosives
• N1 Contract Blasting between Kranskop & Polokwane
- instigated by LMG Joint Venture
• RDP Development Projects – Rustenburg
• Sewerage Dams
• Sewerage Trenches
• Water Trenches
• Mine Development – Rustenburg
• Pylon Lines and Foundation Holes – Kokstad & Umtata
• Musina Community Development – Extension of military residential area.
• Overysel (Potgietersrus Platinum Ltd) Community Development.
23 Years of extensive experience in specific projects includes:
• Project management
• Production management
• Top soil stripping
• Over burden and waste stripping
• Drilling, blasting and removal of blasting material
• Selective mining of reef, ore and coal
• Box cut excavations
• Overburden replacements
• Access roads and ramps
• Water Management
• Mine Health & Safety, implementation thereof and related areas.
• Management of apprentices as well as pit crew.
• Planning and implementing of daily operations for most efficient production.
• Controlling machinery’s cost efficiency and productivity.
• Shock tube and electronic initiating systems.
• Blast Designs
• Bulk Blasting which consists of PLTS (Prime, Load, Tie & Shoot) of bulk and secondary blasting.
• Pre-split blasting
• Magazine Master and Stock controlling of Bulk and Package Explosives.
• Specialized Projects of Very Large and Smaller Scale
Legal Appointee Qualifications
• Civil Blasting Ticket
• National License Obtained: Civil Explosives Technician
• Year Obtained: 1996
• Institution: National Explosives Exam SAPD
• Permanent Opencast Blasting Ticket
• National License Obtained: Permanent Opencast Blasting Ticket
• Institution: Department of Minerals & Energy
Senior contracts manager
— Nov 2016
School Hoërskool Piet Potgieter
Qualification Obtained MDP NQF Level 6
Institution University of Stellenbosch
Certificates / Seminars / In-house Training
Smartdet Universal System – Principals, consequences, legal aspects, As well as the operation of the Smartdet Universal System.
AEL – Right to Know (MSDS) TM202
AEL – SHE Induction TM201
AEL – Surface Initiating Systems CD
AEL – MMU Inspection CD
SA FIRST AID LEAGUE – Occupational First Aid Level 1
SAPD – Magazine Master Certificate
CAT- Supervisory Course
Strata 1&2 (BHP)
Squtuma – Leadership Course
CCS Costing & Planning (Candy)
Lead Managers Program (GIBS 1 year course) – Gordon Institute & Business School
Competition law ( E-Learning)
Finance for Project Managers & Engineers (Alusani)
Mine Health & Safety
Occupational Health & Safety
Management & Discipline in line with MHS as well as OHS
Client Liaison & Relations
Management & Leadership
Contract Understanding - FIDIC
Internal Management systems (IMS, Buildsmart, SAP)
Candy CCS Costing, Excel
Senior contracts manager
• Monthly Reporting To Board of Directors (Safety Stats, Budget vs Actual, Profit vs Loss, Forecasts, Improvement Plans & Initiatives)
• Estimating & Tendering
• Contract Negotiations (Escalations, Change of Scope, Etc.)
• Ensure Compliance to MHSE and Internal Safety Standards & Procedures
• Controlling of Budget vs Actual Costs
• Implementing and Insuring Daily, Weekly and Monthly Reports to Client & Internal Company (Safety, Production – Planned vs Actual, Availabilities, Utilizations, Cost vs Budget, Legal Compliances, Etc. )
• Sub-contractors Management
• Management of Staff (Performance Management – KPI & KPA )
• Risk Analysis
• Business Improvement Initiatives
• Monthly, Weekly, Daily Production Planning
• Client Liaison