Project and Environmental Specialist
Last Updated: 10th May 2017 (over 5 years ago)
Currently I’m employed as the Environmental Manager for the Black Rhino Group, a Blackstone Portfolio Company, which is a private equity firm investing in
infrastructure and energy projects across Africa. I’m employed as the in-house
specialist on Environmental, Social and Governance matters for these projects.
Prior to working at Black Rhino, I held the position of the Senior Engineering
Manager on the Nacala Rail Corridor Project (Section 3 and 5 through Malawi) for
SRK Consulting (the Engineer). The Projects consisted of 140km Greenfield and
100km Brownfield development of heavy haul rail. In addition to the 2 and half years of rail experience in Malawi, I was employed for just under 5 years on the Gautrain Project (High Speed Metro Link in Johannesburg) as an Environmental and Social Manager/Specialist for the Turnkey Contractor (TKC).
I have proved myself as a fast learner, project specialist, keen environmentalist and
stood-up to the challenges on extremely complex projects. The learning on the
projects and the positions occupied ensured that my learning curve was extremely
steep and has put me ahead in terms of years’ experience. This is proven by the senior roles fulfilled thus far in my career.
I see myself as a people’s person and enjoy the company of others and working in
teams. I believe that I have sound values and morals and do believe that these will
stand me in good steed in my future career choices. I have been privileged to work on some of the largest multi-faceted infrastructure projects in Africa, was afforded the opportunity to attend sound education institutions and have acquired invaluable skills, abilities and knowledge.
— Oct 2007
Bsc Economics and Geography
— Oct 2006
Environmental and Social Manager
• Managing the ESIA contractor
• Ensure delivery of projects on time and within budget
• Undertake Due Diligence exercises on projects Black Rhino Group are interested in
• Development of systems and management plans (including Health, Safety, Environment and Security)
• Understanding permitting and licencing for the projects
• International lender support
• Contract input for contractors
• Specialist field studies management (including Geotechnical and Geophysical)
Project and Environmental Manager
— Jul 2015
• Engineering Solutions
• Snagging and Desnagging of works,
• Quality Control and documentation
• Delegated authority across the entire project
• Close working with commercial matters and knowledge of FIDIC
• Team Leadership of a group of expatriate specialists
• Ensuring all close out documentation is in order and correct
• Ensuring compliance of the contractor to World Bank, IFC, Local legislations and project standards
• Review Designs and Method Statements to ensure compliance to environmental standards applicable on the project
• Environmental Engineering solutions to assist the contractor and production team in problems areas encountered on the project
• Managing the team of Environmental and Community Officers/Technicians employed on the project
• Audit and Inspections of the entire works
• Compilation of Environmental Impact Assessments for approval by the authorizing agents for additional works outside of the original scope
• Compilation of the Monthly and Quarterly Environmental Reports to be submitted to the Client
• Analysis of data received from the contractor
• Consultation on Occupational Hygiene matters
• Community consultations and Community Safety
• Handling community grievances and assisting in sensitization programs
• Direct supervision of the rehabilitation of the works, particularly landscaping and vegetation.
• Project Manage the installation of Rail Reserve Beacons across the works
• Development of a Risk Register and Management of the document in consultation with all departments
• Health, Safety and Environmental Inspections and integrated HSE management
• Active participation in audits (client, internal, IFC)
— Jan 2013
• Site Inspections and Environmental Officer Responsibilities
• Review and updating of Environmental Impact Scoping Reports
• Detailed Proposals and Tenders compiled for various Projects
• Legal gap analysis on projects for new infrastructure
• Due Diligence
• Planning and Impact Assessments
• Water Use Licence Applications
• Project Management
• Assessment against various standards, IFC, International Legislation
Environmental and Risk Specialist
— Aug 2011
• The management of the two-multi disciplined-contractors, monitoring their environmental compliance.
• Compiling monthly environmental progress reports for the submission to the authorities and Independent Environmental Control Person. All reports were submitted before the monthly deadline.
• Monitoring (water, noise and dust) and aiding in the establishment of reporting
• Regular site, systems and topic specific audits of the contractors
• Assisting with any initiatives that are undertaken to ensure decreasing carbon footprint and environmental impacts
• Carbon Footprint reporting to Murray and Roberts
• ISO 14001 compliance, establishing an Environmental Management System (EMS), that complied to ISO standards
• Preparing all sub-contractors for external audits from consultants and governmental departments.
• Interaction with the Client (Province) and providing an assurance role
• Data analysis and trending
• Development and maintenance of the Environmental Management aspects of the TKC Management System including the training of personnel in terms thereof
• Advising and guiding the TKC/Bombela Management team on Environmental Management for all aspects of the project from design, manufacture, site establishment, construction, commissioning, handover and rehabilitation
• Providing TKC with the required support and guidance in the day-to-day project activities including the required formal project reporting
• Establishing and driving the implementation, in conjunction with the Bombela Senior Environmental Consultant, the process and mechanisms for Environmental compliance monitoring and reporting across the project
• The establishment and implementation of the necessary systems and tools by the Contractors to support the management of the Environmental aspects across the project
• The implementation, ongoing management including the updating thereof as well as compliance (by the Contractors) with the Draft Final Environmental Management Plan and all applicable Environmental Legislation through review, audit and inspection
• Manage the interface between TKC, the Civil and E&M Contractors and Province/Independent Certifier for Environmental Management
• Attaining the necessary Environmental applications and approvals and any assessing Impact Assessments were processed by the Civil and E&M Contractors
• That the necessary processes were implemented by the Operator to ensure the development, approval and ultimate compliance with the Operations Phase Environmental Management Plan
• Compilation of Water Use License Application and other environmental applications on the Project
• Close working with the water treatment specialist on the project. Particularly looking at effective ways to treat impurities in the water that had been tested.
• Snagging and de-snagging of all works
• Compilation of the Executive Risk Report on a monthly basis. The report includes input from all five Entities involved in the Public Private Partnership (PPP).
• Manage and provide feedback to the risk owners of the various entities.
• Deliver presentations to external companies on the management systems that were employed on the project.