Project / Programme / Portfolio and PMO Professional
Last Updated: 12th September 2018 (over 4 years ago)
Thought Leader with deep expertise in programme and full lifecycle project management, benefits, stakeholder management, and governance. Expertise extends to business process management, information systems management, and business transformation.
Lead community development, business continuity, corporate social responsibility, and project management office.
A published author, public speaker, and motivator, professional programme manager, information systems specialist, and engineer.
MSc (INFORMATION SYSTEMS)
— Nov 2006
Platforms & Technologies
Organisations & Information Systems
PRACTICAL PROJECT MANAGEMENT (PPM)
— Nov 1999
Contracts and Negotiation
Organisation and Administration
Budgeting and Finance
Cum Laude. (One of only 4 ever)
HIGHER NATIONAL DIPLOMA ENGINEERING - Mechanical & Electrical
— Nov 1988
The Strength of Materials and Structures
Machines and Properties of Metals
Obtained various distinctions throughout the course
Obtained BSc Equivalency at University of Pretoria (1989)
Organisation Change Specialist
— Jun 2018
• Manage implementation of resulting remediation actions including culture changes, process redesign, toolchain upgrade, expansion of communications capabilities (mobile and social media) and mentoring of leadership and management (accountability and responsibility)
• Convert organizational base from SDLC, OPS and service delivery management to integrated automated DevOps operation
• Identify components and implement integrated, interactive and automated Microsoft, Open Source and bespoke in-house developed software eco-system
• Introduce continuous automated full stack version based monitoring, rectification, testing, documentation, and deployment
• Implement Kanban/Scrum hybrid development and engagement methodology through to automated billing / invoicing (approvals)
• Introduce and utilize matrix based security and access model to full stack driven from defined business processes and workflows
• Automated reporting and BI, extra-domain monitoring, condition based and comparative benchmarking, automated service delivery, proactive feature discovery and development, capacity management, SLA and delivery metrics management.
• Notable – Current deployment being expanded to include Luxembourg
Strategic Programmes and PMO Manager
— Feb 2018
• [Construction – 12 months- R3,5 M] Revamp 20-year-old building from interior design concept through engineering, architectural design, demolition, procurement, construction, trades, fittings, furniture, finishes and commissioning, occupation and warranty management to a state of tomorrow specification. Includes uninterrupted power supply, self-generation, and low energy consumption elements. Receive occupancy acclaim and increased productivity due to workforce / work-flow management inclusion into the design.
• [Business – 30 months – R2,6 M] Establish and equip a centralized Communications Centre for RSA National Business - Call Management, Social Networking, CRM (SalesForce) Processes, Telephony (Mitel MiContact Centre, IVR, MiVoice Call Recording, MiCollab), and terrestrial to cloud Integration (SalesForce Service Cloud).
• [IT – 12 months – R2,1 M] Remediate Data-centre - from the ground up - power reticulation, network cabling (fibre optics and copper), compute hardware (AIX & X86), SAN, VMware, LAN, WAN, security, and the output required the establishment of a documented baseline for each element whereby maintenance, as well as infrastructure/application management, could be instituted. Multiple phases (including 2 power outage shutdowns) and involved the cooperation of representatives from 60 established business operations in 50 countries and extensive group of vendors (affected all of the applications that were serviced by the data-center).
• [IT – 6 months – R1 M] Upgrade and Revamp of Enterprise Data Warehouse (MS SQL 2016 + QlikView).
• [IT – 3x3 months – 3xR0,25 M] Execute Disaster Recovery (DR) tests (AIX & X86) on Primary Business systems – ERP (Baan), CRM (SalesForce), Financial Reporting
• [IT – 6 months - Internal Budget] Upgrade of Tivoli Storage Manager to latest specifications and DR Requirements.
• [Business Process – 4 months - Internal Budget] Design and implement a PMO (Governance, Engagement Model, Functional and Business Process Optimisation, Master Data, Dashboards and Reporting, Training and Support Optimisation, Financial Integration.) User adoption rates of above 90%.
• [Business Process – 5 months - Internal Budget] Successfully design, implement and manage complete GRC (Governance, Risk and Compliance) capability within the IT Service delivery department that conform to organizational, business and international requirements and align to overall business strategy. (King 3, Cobit, ITIL, SDLC and PRINCE2 / PMBOK) forms the basis of current ServiceNow implementation.
— Mar 2015
• Overhauled the marketing strategy and introduced the company to brand management, social media, tender suitability evaluation, cost of sales measurement, tender closure tracking, and improvement.
Projects Manager ERP (Sage X3)
— Sep 2014
• Turnaround (inherited) “nightmare” project with a client, supplier and product delivery stabilized and relationship healthy and on-going relationship tailored for growth and improvement.
• Deliver a Greenfield implementation project (Gautrain Management Agency (GMA))
• Deliver definition of manufacturing project (O-line Support Systems - OBO Bettermann Group)
• Project Initiation (Namaqua Wines)
• Project closure (TRIOMF Fertilizer)
Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
— Jun 2014
• Designed, implemented and documented primary /essential business systems and processes – all functions.
— Feb 2014
• Delivered multiple Project/Program Management Offices ranging in scope from strategic initiative execution management to ISO 9001 approved commercial execution project management and control. Clients included Aveng Group IT, Aveng Engineering, Aveng Manufacturing, and Aveng Construction. Program and project management maturity increased significantly, standardization of processes and reporting resulted in transferrable and transparent project progress measurement, which reduced organizational risk and significantly improved overall governance
• Defined Aveng Group software acquisition and project evaluation framework. This allowed the members of the group to measure the impact of potential acquisitions and projects in total cost to company terms as well as derive realistic lifecycle information before committing. Significant savings, product rationalization as well as substantial risk reduction (benefit measurement supported) resulted from this program.
• Rationalised business software applications and solutions, business processes and organizational culture and behavior drivers during the consolidation of Aveng E+PC, Aveng Water, Aveng Renewable Energy, and Aveng Nuclear into Aveng Engineering. Substantial cost and organizational overhead savings were realized while all the non-ISO 9001 companies “inherited” status from Aveng E+PC and Aveng Engineering passed the ISO audit at first attempt with no NCR (Non-Conformance Reports).
• Designed, implemented and managed the project management, project controls, procurement and logistics processes required by the 74 MW photovoltaic solar plant (94 MWp) erected by the joint venture between Acciona and Aveng in 16 months. This plant has a nominal peak capacity of 74MW. It covers approximately 250 hectares and consists of 470 solar trackers that support the 319 600 photovoltaic modules. It is still the largest renewable energy facility in full production in South Africa.
Job Functions: This was an executive management position within a group consisting of 210 companies with a global footprint (Construction, Manufacturing, Mining, Steel, Water, Engineering, Consulting and Logistics).
• Provided and managed internal consulting to assist specialists in other functional areas with regard to professional project management techniques, tools, communication, and reporting.
• Ensured that portfolio’s, programs and projects were carried out consistently and successfully in accordance with corporate strategies, governance, and financial control. (Governed from PMO)
• Project Management Office (PMO)- designed and implemented:
• Strategic alignment - Portfolio’s, Programs and Projects with matrix Accountability
• Infrastructure Build – Software, Support, Training, Personnel
• Role Definition – Matrix management design and education
• Project Office Content - Process, Procedure, Tools, Communication, and Templates
• Strategic and Benefits Realisation as well as delivery and output management
• Financial Integration and Management
• Governance of Projects and Outcomes (Products)
• Leadership roles in AVENG Group strategy and initiatives:
• CRM (Customer Relationship Management – MS Dynamics, Oracle, Sage)
• ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning – SAP, MS Dynamics GP, Dynamics NAV, Sage X3)
• BPM (Business Process Management – OpenText, Sagent Data Flow)
• ECM (Enterprise Content Management – OpenText, Documentum, MS SharePoint)
• Business Continuity Program
• Group Communications Strategy
• Formalised Change Management
• Information Systems and Technology Acquisition Management
• Corporate Responsibility and Community Development
• Managed high value (strategic or capital) programs on behalf of member organizations.
• ERP evaluation and business fit/value (SAP, Oracle, Sage X3)
• Telephony and data Infrastructure upgrade/replacement
• Enterprise Content Management (ECM, EDM, ERM and Document Control)
• Align various operating group initiatives with regard to support functions (SHERQ, HR, Finance, Procurement, Business Development, and ICT) to harmonize with and support group strategic initiatives.